The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Southerntruck, fonz8261, 1 invisible), 165 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#945713 05/25/2013 8:38 AM
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 306
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 306
Have any of you folks out there with a 53 3600 had a problem with the bolt that goes through the bottom of the shock being too big for the hole in the mount on the axle?
I have ordered shocks from everywhere and in each case the bolt was too big(diameter) for the hole.
The mount appears to be original.
Unless it is unadvisable I plan the enlarge the hole to take the bolt.

thanks

rolf


1963 c10
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,518
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,518
Can you change out the shock sleeves? I had that problem when I was building my roadster, and I contacted the shock manufacturer and the sent me out some smaller sleeves to fit the lower bolt I was using. Some premium hardware stores might have some hardened sleeve stock that you can cut down to the correct length too. By the time you do all that though you might as well drill out the mount larger.


1953 Chevrolet 3100
261 cu inch, sm420, 3.55 rear, torque tube still,omaha orange, still 6 volt, RPO green glass, side carrier spare, all done
In the DITY Gallery
Video of the 261 running

1964 GMC 1000
305 Big Block V6, sm420, the next cab off restoration
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,644
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,644
I'm doing a 53 GMC and had the same problem I ended up just drilling out the mount.

Pete


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0