The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 106 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,181
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 293
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 293
The rear suspension of my '57 Suburban needs a bit of help when loaded or when towing. I am thinking about getting either air shocks (with a small on-board compressor) or load-adjusting shocks (with the helper spring around them). I know how both type work, what they do, but I do not know how to choose which type I need... Is a kind of shocks better than the other for a specific use?
Can anyone help me?


'57 Chevy Suburban; '70 Chevy Impala.
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
My 1998 Chevy C3500 had been lowered by the previous owner. He cooked the front coil springs and removed the rear overloads. He also put dropped shackles in it. No way that was going to haul my 5th wheel that way. The truck was already banging on the axle. First thing I did was put some Firestone air bags in the back. I've since rebuilt the front end, new springs, etc. I haven't done anything to the back except the bags! I keep them at 30 lbs and when it's time to go camping, I raise that to 60-70 lbs. I love them bags!!

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
It depends on what you're hauling. If you want something more adjustable, go with the air shocks. That way you can put the air way down when you're not hauling or loaded. My preference is the air shocks, you won't regret it. You really don't need an on-board compressor with them, but that's preference too.


1946 GMC Pickup - S-10 Frame, 455 Buick, TH400, original patina.

My 46 GMC on Photobucket
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
One vote for the air bags

Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 293
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 293
Thanks guys, but air bags are not an option, it is way too expensive: $700 for a pair of AirRide airbag coilovers, $120 for a pair of air shocks or shocks with helper spring...
As far as I know, the Firestone kind of air bags will not work, my truck has a Corvette rear...


'57 Chevy Suburban; '70 Chevy Impala.

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0