The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Paul Mullen), 99 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 95
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 95
I bought part number EL135 from Jim Carter Truck Parts to step 12V down to 6V for the heater motor in a 1948 3600.

Which side of the heater switch should it be placed?

1.) 12V source to heater control switch

2.) Heater control switch to heater motor?

Is there a better choice for a voltage reducer?

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

I'd put that reducer (which looks OK) on the input side of the switch.

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
That resistor is intended to be bolted to sheet metal to dissipate the heat. That exact resistor costs around 3.50 at an electronics supply house.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

truckernix,

What would be a brand name and part number for that resistor?

Thanks,

Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 687
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 687
Wouldn't it make better sense to replace the heater motor with a 12V motor? I'm not sure of the current draw from the 6V motor, but think it's rather high therefore the resistor will get pretty hot. Be careful.


David Gilmore
Stovebolt Pictures
Paint progress
____________________________
1950 Chevy 3600
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Actually in quantities of one about the cheapest you could find
them at someplace like Allied or Mouser is about five bucks.
All they are is a wirewound, aluminum housed, chassis mount,
power resistor. JC gives you all the specs that you need to
order one from any electronics supply house.
Here's one example from Vishay, but there are many others:
http://www.vishay.com/docs/30201/30201.pdf
If you threw it in with a group of other things on an order from
one of our old truck vendors it would come out about the same
as if you ordered one from an electronics supply and had to pay
the shipping for one item.
And you are correct Dave, picture a 50watt light bulb under the
dash. But it's even worse because there is no energy being
dissipated as light so it's all heat. That's ok if it's mounted
to a panel as a heat sink as mentioned earlier.

Denny G

Last edited by Denny Graham; 05/03/2013 9:03 AM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Here is what I am talking about. Digi Key Pricing on Resistor


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
The question was: which side of the switch. TC is only one to answer. I would have said output side, but I don't think it would make any difference electrically unless the switch can only handle 6V. secondly, these resistors have heat sink fins on them and need to be places in fairly open air path, not tucked away. They will not start a fire.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Well most of these switches have a light in them. So if one wanted to place the resistor after the switch one would want to replace the bulb with a 12 volt bulb. I can't remember whether the light bulb is replaceable or not.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

My original switches do not have a light bulb.

An original switch got quite hot (glowing hot) when I used the 6v heater without a resistor after converting a truck temporarily to 12v (back in the 70s). I just figured the switch would get less hot with the resistor before the switch.


Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Without a light it wouldn't really make a difference. I am surprised that your original survived on 12 volts. On six volts those resistors would glow. I discovered that the 6 volt replacements that i was able to buy melted with the 6 volts. I now only use it on high.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
Roger that TC.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 95
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 95
I failed to mention what fan switch I'm using... it is part number EL318 form JC also. This switch is three positions; 12V and does have a removable light bulb behind the knob.

With the information given here I have developed the following plan for a circuit.

12V Feed to http://www.ynzyesterdaysparts.com/index.php?_a=product&product_id=89"> Inline Fuse Holder then to the fan switch EL318.

From the switch to the voltage reducer EL135 mounted to an Aluminum heat sink then to heater motor.

Please advise of any concerns with this circuit. Thanks.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
Perfect. Who cares if the bulb and resistor gets hot? Aren't we wanting heat? wink


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
red450,
I don't understand the comment from bartamos but yes, what you described should work fine.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
Well, anyway Truckernix, Happy Birthday. Try to see the humor in life a little more.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Thanks for the happy birthday. I enjoy humor but I thought you were making a point that I missed, sorry.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
Down here in AZ. there is a "cinco de mayo" celebration. But doesn't mean anything to me. But your birthday does. Enjoy it!!


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0