The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (78buckshot, D B Cooper, Otto Skorzeny, Ponchogl), 148 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,144
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 95
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 95
Are 47-50 left side (driver side) vent doors interchangeable?

I put one on the 1948 3600 that was from an unknown year. When the door is closed the vent door is forward by about 5/16" and does not fit into its "seat" or seal area.

Was the hinge welded at different places for different years?

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
Try this thread
https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=610893&page=1

The picture links are broken but from the discussion thier Are differences.

You'll need a vent assembly from a cab of the same year.
Try posting a ad In the parts wanted section of the forum and specify year.

Good luck


Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
I was the victim of webshots killing my pictures, they are reposted here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/advance-design_parts_co/8129373734/in/set-72157631868452754
There are differences and some pieces do interchange. Have you put in a new gasket? If so that may be part of the problem because the foam type does affect the seating and closure. Some pictures may help in assessing the problem.

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
D
Gas Pumper
Gas Pumper
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
This may or may not be pertinent, but I noticed that doors from the same year, but made at different factories were as much as 1/4" larger than the ones I had. So, these vents, if they weren't made at the same factory, might not fit exactly right. I was very surprised by this, but that was the technology of the time. I actually had to cut my cab and remove 1/4 of an inch to make my doors fit. Amazing. So, don't be surprised if other parts have the same problem?


Deve

1950 Chevy 3100 Deluxe Cab
1950 Chevy 3100 Standard Cab
In the Stovebolt Gallery
The Think Tank
More info and tips at Deve's Technet
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 95
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 95
Here is a link to photos of my vent door.

https://plus.google.com/photos/105513075216719775909/albums/5874242382607772929

I'd like to get hinge placement measurements on door from a known late '49 & '50

I have determined the vent door I have is from my '48 but the hinge bracket was no longer spot welded and was over looked prior to paint.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
My truck is a 1950 3600, measuring from the flat spot on the top of the opening in the cowl to the top of the bracket that the vent bolts to is 3-7/8".

Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 95
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 95
Brad, take a look at my photos in the link above.

Notice where my calipers are, those are the measurements I need.

I'm measuring from the rear inside edge of the vent door to the rear leading edge of the hinge.

I have a fore and aft issue not up and down. Thanks

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
Mine measures right at 7/8" at that spot.

Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 95
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 95
That spot? Is your measurement taken at the top or bottom of the hinge?

You can see in the photos I measured at the top and bottom; these measurements are not the same. I get the following measurements:

Top .8600" (aprox. = 55/64")

Bottom .9115" (aprox. = 29/32")

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
Top


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0