The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (DBJ71SuperCustom, KEVINSKI, padresag, JW51, Shaffer's1950, 1955 1 Series), 66 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,080
Posts1,056,288
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
SO I have some slight orange peel on the hood and I am using SSU Metallic base. I know what caused it - I shot the paint when it was a bit too chilly.

Anyway it is not horrendous - but what are my options. I do plan on Clear coating it as well.

Hate to have to sand it all down and do again - but will do what I need to.

Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,001
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,001
You CANNOT color sand the base coat as you will sand into the metallic flakes and ruin the look. Only option is spray several coats of clear to the point that "color" sanding will knock off the high spots of the clear coat only and leave heavy buildup of clear in the low spots. Might take multiple stages of sanding clear and re-apply more clear. Do NOT sand through the clear or you start over with base.

Might be easier to sand down the base coat and re-spray base.

Edit: Re-read your post, slight orange peal is normal and addressed by sanding clear coat.

Last edited by DavidF; 04/17/2013 10:31 AM.
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
That is what I will try - clearcoat 2-3 coats and then sand/buff
later on



Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0