The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (MickeyP, 37 GC, jmoore, Eisenholtz, Wayne67vert, 1 invisible), 85 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,627
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 693
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 693
i was looking forward to swapping out my 3.90:1 axle for the 3.38 set and i did it this weekend - a friend let me use the lift in his shop. i got an extra center section last fall so i could replace and set up the ring and pinion on the bench (and inside where its warm) over the winter. here it is:

new 3.38:1 rear

This made it a simple matter of swapping out one center section for the other:

empty housing

here's the new set installed

new gears installed

all back together

all back together

i changed the speedo gear in the transmission so my speedometer would read right, then took it for a spin. it drove well and i was turning about 2300 rpm at 55 mph. i am happy with it and i look forward to easier cruising this summer!


Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 255
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 255
Nice work - looks like it was a fairly easy swap with a center section set up and ready. I like jobs that go like that!

Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,363
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,363
How does it start out with the 3 speed? Lots of clutch slipping or not? Will be nice to hear how the milage is etc.


Kicking self for selling off my Taskforce trucks.
Still looking for an LCF or conventional big bolt in decent shape.


As of 10-26-2022, A 55.2 Taskforce long bed now the work begins
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 693
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 693
It starts out just fine. This is with an empty bed (no load), of course. My truck is a toy, and has 'retired' from hauling anything.. Starting off with a 1/2 ton load might be a different story, but for lazy cruising it is a great answer for lowering the hi-revs on the highway.

Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
My first 59 gmc 1/2 ton shortbed had a 6 cylinder, 3 speed and 3.08 gears from the factory and 29 inch tires. No problem starting in 1st or second. Not so good at towing a trailor. Typically got 14-16 mpg with the original carb, and 12-14 mpg with a 4bbl holley. Truck weighed around 3500 lbs empty.

I had put the 3.38 gears in my current 59 gmc with pontiac v8 and overdrive transmission. The gears did ok with the 336 gmc engine, but the rearend did not survive the engine swap to a 59 pontiac 389 bored and stroked to 447 with 3 deuces. The rearend housing was torn apart.

I have since replaced the HO33 housing with a 9 inch, and changed the gears a couple of times. My gears now are lower than stock, but I still cruise 70 mph at 2500 rpm because of the OD. I may change the gears to around 4.10 for a little more economy. However the 4.30 gears I have now are real responsive with the 31 inch tall tires.

As far as mileage, here is how my 59 1/2 ton longbed did with various engine/tire,transmission combos. The truck weighs a touch over 4000 lbs empty, and with the spare gas and tools I carry, it tips the scale around 4400 lbs.

10 mpg with 336 v8 motor, 28 inch tires, 3.90 gears
12-13 mpg with 336 v8 motor, 28 inch tires, 3.38 gears with 27% OD transmission
13-14 mpg with new 447 inch pontiac motor, 28 inch tires, 3.70 gears, and OD transmission
14-15 mpg with 447 motor, 31 inch tires, 3.70 gears and OD transmission.
10-12 mpg with 447 motor, 31 inch tires, 4.30 gears and OD transmission

The transmission is a NV4500 5 speed adapted from a dodge 1 ton diesel pickup. There was a 4 speed sm420 in my truck when I purchase it.

The truck responded great with the 3.70 gears and the 28 inch tires. There was a noticeable loss of gearing when going to the 31 inch tires. Acceleration was poor in every gear. 4.11 gears with 31 inch tires should respond the same way as 3.70 gears with 28 inch tires. I ended up moving on to 4.30 gears for even better acceleration, however the loss in economy is killing me. I may switch to 4.0 to 4.11 gears for more economy.

With OD, you can have the low gears for acceleration, and still cruise at a respectable rpm.

The OD effectively gives you a highway rear end gearing. The NV4500 has a 0.73 5th gear for 27% OD

3.90 gears effectively become 2.85 gears in OD
3.70 gears effectively become 2.70 gears in OD
4.11 gears effectively become 3.0 gears in OD
4.30 gears effectively become 3.15 gears in OD
4.56 gears effectively become 3.33 gears in OD
5.14 gears effectively become 3.75 gears in OD

Anyway tire size, gears, and transmissions can be mixed and matched to give the desired performace. The OD transmissions give you the ability to have acceleration and economy. However you generally have to choose between the acceleration performance and the economy. You can have 1 or the other but not both. Some combos work better than others, but in the end, everything is a compromise.

Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 37
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 37
This is a subject that I could use a little help on. I'm not stupid at math but for some reason I have trouble with gear ratios vs transmission vs tire size. My truck is a 47 1/2 ton will have the hot rod look just not the v8 go. I am using a 235. Wanted to go the Saganaw 4 speed with the 3.11 first gear and 3.55 rear end route. Trouble is I have a wide ratio muncie 2.54 first gear that I need to use. What rear ratio should I be looking for so I'm not slipping the clucth taking off and be able to cruse at 60? I have my eye on a 77 k-10 blazer with 3.42 rear gears. How do you think that 3.42s would work? I'm in the build stage so I have not made up my mind on tire size but I have some nice 15x7 rims I'd like to use. Thank you for any help.

Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
Gears don't mean anything without tire size.

Best solution would be to use an OD transmission like the t5. There are other OD transmissions that will work like the 3 plus OD units used in the 50s and 60s.

The 235 has good torque. It should be able to pull 3.08 gears up to 3.90 gears and beyond. 3.08 gears with 29 inch tires will get you 60 mph @ 2070 rpm. This combo may not accelerate like a rocket ship from the stop lights, but it certainly will be drivable.

I am not endorsing the 3.08 gears, just confirming they will work.

Joined: May 2011
Posts: 1
B
Moderated
Moderated
B Offline
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 1
Originally Posted by tomctomc
i was looking forward to swapping out my 3.90:1 axle for the 3.38 set and i did it this weekend - a friend let me use the lift in his shop. i got an extra center section last fall so i could replace and set up the ring and pinion on the bench (and inside where its warm) over the winter. here it is:

new 3.38:1 rear

This made it a simple matter of swapping out one center section for the other:

empty housing

here's the new set installed

new gears installed

all back together

all back together

i changed the speedo gear in the transmission so my speedometer would read right, then took it for a spin. it drove well and i was turning about 2300 rpm at 55 mph. i am happy with it and i look forward to easier cruising this summer!

I am doing the same swap starting this weekend. Where did you find the correct speedometer gear for the 318 tranny?


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0