The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Danielbolt, Steelonsteel), 82 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,095
Posts1,056,492
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#935126 04/12/2013 12:46 PM
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 3
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 3
After about a year and a half of accumulating parts, I'm just about ready to tackle my truck project. It is a 1955.2 one ton with dual rear wheels. I would like to run 16" one piece wheels on the truck. I plan to swap out the rear end with a newer one with better gears, so no issues there. I tried newer (1973-up) dually wheels on the front. They fit and look good, but have less than 1/8" clearance with the tie rod end. I measured the distance fron the inside mounting flange to inside of wheel and it is about 7 7/8". The original 17" wheel is right at 7". So I measured every other dually wheel I have or could find at a recent swap meet, 16" GM and Ford, 16.5" GM, and even the newer 17" GM dually wheels. None is any less than the 7 7/8". Is anyone aware of a 16" wheel that is just a little more shallow than the standard dually wheel? I've been told I can use 19.5" bread truck wheels for greater clearance, but I would prefer to go with 16's to keep tire costs down. Any ideas or experience would be appreciated.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 187
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 187
You can take the steering arms off the back of your spindle and shim it about 1/4 inch,it will give you about 3/8 clearance.You will have to realign the tie rod.


_____________
Floyd

If we choose being kind over being right,we will
be right every time.
Knowledge is a poor substitute for experience.
Remember what is precious to another, may not be to you, but it
is precious nonetheless.

1948 Chevy 2-Ton

Moderated by  Dusty53 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0