Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,109 Posts1,056,569 Members48,448 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#93289 10/26/2005 1:46 AM | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 13 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 13 | Do I lose my flooer starter if I go to 12 volts? I have a 53 with smoking old 235, going up to 56 full pressure 235 with 12 volt starter and flywheel, can I use the floor starter, or do I use a later-style ignition switch? Will a later full ignition switch go in the dash with no mods? | | |
#93290 10/26/2005 2:11 AM | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,836 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,836 | My 59 3800 has 12 volts (original) and a floor starter, so it's not necessarily impossible to do. Also, your 6 volt starter will live a long time cranking on 12 volts, with little, if any concerns. It will just wing the engine over really fast!
Any good electrical rebuilder can convert your old starter to run on 12 volts by changing the field coils and armature, but 12-volt foot pedal starters are out there, factory original. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | |
#93291 10/26/2005 2:26 AM | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 571 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 571 | If you use your 6 volt starter, you will have to use the flywheel off of the older engine. If you go 12 volts, you will need the flywheel from the later engine (they have different # of teeth). You can use the foot starter with either. | | |
#93292 10/26/2005 2:54 AM | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 13 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 13 | The engine I am putting in is from a 56, and the starter has no foot start, the engine was in a 50 that was converted to 12V and a button start on the dash. Can I mount the foot start to the 12V starter? Or just use the 6V starter on 12V? Sounds like the 6V starter will be fine, I have heard a few guys mention that fact. | | |
#93293 10/26/2005 2:56 AM | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | You say the '56 engine has 12V starter and flywheel. If it came from a truck it should have the foot operated switch.
If it has electric solenoid it came from a car. You can buy a unversal key switch with start position or you can use your stock switch with an added start button.
If you want to keep it foot switched find a '55-'59 truck starter. | | |
#93294 10/26/2005 2:56 AM | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 13 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 13 | Shipwright, what is the rear-end in your 49? I have been wanting to get away from the torque tube, but want the original powertrain like you have, How did you do it? Also, what kit did you use for the front disk brakes? Can you still use stocl wheels? | | |
#93295 10/26/2005 3:00 AM | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | Whoa, you posted more info while I was answering.
I don't know if a manual switch will mount on a solenoid starter but you could try it.
Like Shipwright said, if you use the 6V you will need the 6V flywheel. | | |
#93296 10/26/2005 8:11 PM | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 27 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: May 2005 Posts: 27 | I rigged my foot starter to an electical push button switch at the starter.I have a 62 235 in my 49 3100.It gives me the look of an original starter,turn the ing. switch push the foot starter and off we go(most of the time)Manfighter16 | | |
#93297 10/27/2005 4:01 AM | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 571 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 571 | Manfighter, that's a cool way to do it. 1953smoker, My engine is a 1957 235 & my trans is a Camaro T5 w/ S-10 Tailshaft housing. The rear end is out of a 1965 1/2 Ton truck w/ 6 lug. The disc brake kit is the non power 6 lug kit from CCP w/ dual master cyl. I don't know if you can convert a selinoid operated starter to a mechanical (foot start) Good question for the Gurus here though. | | |
#93298 10/27/2005 3:51 PM | Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 2,074 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 2,074 | My 46 pickup, 261/T5 with 1946 original bellhousing. Kept the original 6 volt floor button starter since any starter troubles I've ever had were due to the solonoid. Your old bellhousing will swap to the newer motor just remember to keep the flywheel with it's correct starter as mentioned. Also passenger car bellhousing will not have the motor mounts etc. needed for the truck. | | |
#93299 11/11/2005 10:00 PM | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 332 Big Bolt Shop Curmudgeon | | Big Bolt Shop Curmudgeon Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 332 | For anyone jumping from a stomper starter (mechanical shift starter) to a push button or key position starter (electrical solenoid shift starter), or the reverse, there are a few things to be aware of. Most have been covered here.
If you want to keep the mechanical shift operation (foot pedal actucation), you will need to mount a starter motor, either 6 or 12 volt, with the housing outfitted with electrical contact stub located on top, in the approximate center of the housing.
If you want to use a solenoid-operated electrical contact and shift, then you will need a housing that has a strap-style electrical contactor for the solenoid operation.
The two are mutually exclusive and not interchangeable, BUT......
You can jury-rig some kind of a button the foot pedal will depress that will conplete the electrical circuit to operate the solenoid equipped electrical shift starter mechanism, as Manfighter says he has done. I'd like to see more information and detail on how it was accomplished.
Where and how did you mount the electrical switch so that mashing down on the foot pedal would actuate the electrical switch?
No matter how you push the button (dash mounted button you mash with your finger or hidden button you actuate by mashing the floor pedal) or cloase the circuit (by turning the key to "start"), it is still a solenoid operated electrical shift starter.
That's OK, just realize what it is and what it ain't.
So, how is your electrical button wired?
Do you have to turn the key to "on" in order to get power to the contact button, or is the button "hot" all the time (like the chevy cars were '49 to '52)?
Drivin' down a 2 lane country road in a stovebolt.....cowboy, it don't get no better than this!
1946 1-1/2 ton Chevy "Ol Blue", or "THE BIG 'UN"
| | |
#93300 11/11/2005 10:14 PM | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 | I hope this question doesn't hijack the main theme of this thread, but here goes anyway!
Flashback to 1954---I walk into a Chevrolet showroom, in one corner is a '54 hardtop, in the other corner is a 1/2 ton pickup. Both have standard transmissions. The car has a key activated starter...the truck has a foot activated starter..why the difference?
Stuart | | |
#93301 11/12/2005 5:44 AM | Joined: Apr 2003 Posts: 608 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2003 Posts: 608 | GM wanted to make it more Appealing to the women? :p Steve sr. | | |
#93302 11/14/2005 8:08 PM | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 297 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 297 | i converted my foot start 54 over to 12 volt w/ a one wire altenator and all i had to do was change the bulbs, heater motor etc and add resister for gas gauge. that motor bit the dust and i replaced it with one from a 62 chevy (235). In order to keep the foot start i had to use the fly wheel from the 54 as mentioned above.
54 3100 w/62 235 "Yosemite Sam" Born a Jay Hawk, raised an Okie and resurrected in Texas!http://community.webshots.com/user/djed50
| | |
#93303 11/20/2005 5:21 PM | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,842 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,842 | When I went 6 --> 12, I didn't touch the foot starter. It worked just fine for a couple years. Finally the bushings in the starter started to crap out so when I pushed down on the button, sometimes it would not make a complete circuit. Thus I recently swapped out the old starter and installed a spare I found in my garage that was next to my spare SM420? (one can never have too many spares).
When I get really boared I'll take the starter down to a local starter rebuilder, but since I have yet another starter up in my attic full of truck parts the rebuild will not happen soon.
Craig My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear My truck ....... Respect The Rust If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
| | |
#93304 11/20/2005 11:12 PM | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | Originally posted by atomarc: The car has a key activated starter...the truck has a foot activated starter..why the difference? Well I wasn't even born when the '54s were new, so its not like I know what the designers were thinking. But the Advance Design trucks were the first post war design out of GM, and as such probably did not benefit as much from some of the post-war innovations like key start that showed up in other designs just a few years later. And from a marketing standpoint, I'd bet key start was much more important to the buyers of cars than the buyers of pickups.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | |
| |