The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
10 members (Shaffer's1950, Cletus1950, Leo, NAPCOStormTrpr, Otto Skorzeny, GDW, MNSmith, Hanks custodian, Peggy M, Hotrod Lincoln), 103 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,139
Posts1,056,455
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 150
G
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
G Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 150
I bought one of those cheap chinese turn signals for my 54 chevy truck. I bought some 2 wire tail lights to use with it. The wiring diagram that came with it did not show anythinmg about the tail lights, only blinker and brake. they both work good, my question is how does everyone else wire for the tailights? Just run a wire from the headight power to the tailights?


[Linked Image from i1188.photobucket.com]
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
follow the shop manual wiring diagram

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 150
G
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
G Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 150
Sorry about that BIll.


[Linked Image from i1188.photobucket.com]
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 543
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 543
Not to hijack, but it looks like the stop light feed wire is nat/white color. Would that likely be the same on a 49 ?.. I'm about ready to install a third brake light.


Mark
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
Lucielle
Name after my Uncle's Wife..

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ... Will Rogers
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
yes, some early diagrams didn't note colors, so best to go with the later diagram, the colors became 'industry standard' sometime mid-50's - most diagrams available here

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 543
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 543
Thanks Bill. I looked at the 49 diagram...no colors mentioned...the 50 shows a wire...Nat...coming from stop switch. I'm pretty sure mine has been retired so who knows unless an entire new harness was used with the proper colors.

The diagram also shows connectors....are these unplugable ? Would make it a cleaner install for a third brake lite and easier to test.


Mark
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
Lucielle
Name after my Uncle's Wife..

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ... Will Rogers
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
yes, where the diagrams have symbols labeled 'connector' they're the plug in ones, where they show solid dots it's junctions/terminals .... I think any replacement harness will be correct standardized colors

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 543
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 543
Super...that should make it easier....I think I already have a plug type splitter in my box of stuff wink


Mark
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
Lucielle
Name after my Uncle's Wife..

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ... Will Rogers
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 150
G
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
G Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 150
I've got it figured out, thanks guys


[Linked Image from i1188.photobucket.com]

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0