Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
1 members (78buckshot),
112
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,136 Posts1,056,425 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 150 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 150 | I bought one of those cheap chinese turn signals for my 54 chevy truck. I bought some 2 wire tail lights to use with it. The wiring diagram that came with it did not show anythinmg about the tail lights, only blinker and brake. they both work good, my question is how does everyone else wire for the tailights? Just run a wire from the headight power to the tailights? | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | follow the shop manual wiring diagramBill | | | | | Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 150 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 150 | | | | | | Joined: Nov 2012 Posts: 543 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2012 Posts: 543 | Not to hijack, but it looks like the stop light feed wire is nat/white color. Would that likely be the same on a 49 ?.. I'm about ready to install a third brake light. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | yes, some early diagrams didn't note colors, so best to go with the later diagram, the colors became 'industry standard' sometime mid-50's - most diagrams available hereBill | | | | | Joined: Nov 2012 Posts: 543 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2012 Posts: 543 | Thanks Bill. I looked at the 49 diagram...no colors mentioned...the 50 shows a wire...Nat...coming from stop switch. I'm pretty sure mine has been retired so who knows unless an entire new harness was used with the proper colors.
The diagram also shows connectors....are these unplugable ? Would make it a cleaner install for a third brake lite and easier to test. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | yes, where the diagrams have symbols labeled 'connector' they're the plug in ones, where they show solid dots it's junctions/terminals .... I think any replacement harness will be correct standardized colors
Bill | | | | | Joined: Nov 2012 Posts: 543 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2012 Posts: 543 | Super...that should make it easier....I think I already have a plug type splitter in my box of stuff  | | | | | Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 150 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 150 | I've got it figured out, thanks guys | | |
| |