The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (klhansen, Gray_Ghost, TooMany2count), 68 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,712
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 85
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 85
I will be attempting to replace the rear rope cranshaft seal on my 1953 GMC engine. Althought the proceedure is well documented and states that the crankshaft needs to be loosen so that it can drop a bit to allow the rope seal to be install on the upper bearing. I need to know what the torque specification are when tightning the bolts. Also is there a pattern I should follow such as front to back or left to right??
Dan

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy DJRoy, the torque listed in one of my Motors manuals is 100 - 110 ft. lbs., I couldn't find it in two maintenance manuals I checked, as far as a pattern is concerned I have always started in the center and then worked out, hope that helps.

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
When I replaced my main bearings, I dropped the crankshaft a fair amount. I found out that if I didn't let it down evenly it would hang up on the thrust bearing. Also it can damage the front seal but in my case I had the cover off. I also had to check that the timing marks were aligned when I pulled it back up into place. You shouldn't have to drop it that much.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0