The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 92 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,116
Posts1,056,641
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 21
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 21
I lost one of the 2 little screws that hold the gearshift upper support to the steering column just below the gearshift lever. Anybody got one? Can I get this in a hardware store? The one I still have seems kinda special looking. Thanks!

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
Jay - yes they're pretty odd, I've never seen an exact match at a hardware store, but some vendors have them - called shift knuckle screws

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 6
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 6
I have a four speed on the floor and I think I am having the same issue. The two pins that hold the gear shifter in place are worn and need to be replaced. Is this what you are referring to, the shift knuckle screws? The ones in there now are loose ans spin in the holes but wil not come out. Will these replacement knuckle screws fix my problem? Thanks in advance.

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
no kbr, the screws referred to hold the 3 speed shift lever on the steering column, nothing to do with the SM420 4 speed, but you might find something here

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,363
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,363
For the SM420 I would contact someone at that Novak link Bill put up and see what they recomend. The only choices I can see to fix the loose pins, is #1 Pins with an oversized end that contacts the cast iron hole, and normal size for the shift lever retainer. #2 ream the holes larger and install bushings for the pins. #3 weld and redrill the holes. #4 Epoxy ie JB weld the pins in the holes. #5 If they aren't too loose use locktite retaining compound.


Kicking self for selling off my Taskforce trucks.
Still looking for an LCF or conventional big bolt in decent shape.


As of 10-26-2022, A 55.2 Taskforce long bed now the work begins
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 434
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 434
Jay

I may have those on my old column. Planning to reuse the column but not the shifter. I will dig it out and look if you are interested. You can have them if I can find them


R-Bo

1959 Apache 1/2 ton Big Window, Short bed Fleetside (under reconstruction)
1966 GMC 305V6 in the family
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
The 4 speed posts should be moved to a separate thread...

Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 21
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 21
R-Bo!! Yes, I am very interested.

Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 21
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 21
Red58. Thank you for the link. If I can't find the real deal, I will order those.


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0