Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,089 Posts1,056,144 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 134 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 134 | I have a 1953 216 engine that I am putting back together. Problem is the rope seal appears to be to thick so that when the cap bolts are tighten the crank does not turn freely. When I remove the seal and tighten the cap bolts the crank turns with little effort. I heard they make a neopreem replacement but all the auto parts stores and parts suppliers only carry the rope seal. Any suggestions?
Charlie
1953 5 Window 1994 Harley, Heritage Softail Classic 2006 Chevy Colarado I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 2,074 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 2,074 | I'd try to locate a NOS original asbestos seal, on Ebay or try Langdon's Stovebolt. Also correct installation appears to be an art to get it right so read any tech tips on this you can find. Best of luck | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Some people have reported that the Best Gasket seal is OK (but an original, asbestos seal is best).
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 | I just used my first Best Gasket seal and would highly recommend it, even over NOS.
See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet! My Blog | | | | | Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 566 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 566 | I talked to Tom at Stovebolt and he suggested to get NOS with the asbestos rope seal for best results. I called Lester J Harris at 775-267-2559 and had it at my door in a few days. You may wish to give him a try. Mine was a 1956 235 motor.
"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my sweet ride." -Amen 56 Chevy 3100 | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,636 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,636 | Takes a little work (art) to get that seal properly worked into the channel. And it may seem pretty tight at first. Has to done right too or you may have problems with the main bearing cap seating correctly | | | | | Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 134 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 134 | Thanks for the info everybody, I ordered a Sneaky Pete rear main rope tool from the internet today. Hope to try installing the rear main again next week.
1953 5 Window 1994 Harley, Heritage Softail Classic 2006 Chevy Colarado I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2010 Posts: 1,001 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2010 Posts: 1,001 | I used the Best rope seal and yes, the crank is tight with a new gasket. I assume it will wear in and be fine. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 1,847 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 1,847 | a full circle lip seal works better. | | |
| |