The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gray_Ghost, Joe W), 211 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,231
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 93
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 93
Okay guys this is probably a couple of really dumb questions but I'm stumped so will ask anyway.
On my 57 GMC when I turn on the lights the interior dome light comes on. There are no door switches or other switches to turn it off. I have tried rotating the headlight switch and that doesn't work. Is this thing wired wrong or how in the heck do you turn the #@!&% thing off?
Second dumb question. I am trying to hook up the radio (factory NOS). There is 1 speaker wire coming from the radio and my after market speaker has 2 terminals, + and -. If the + side goes to the radio connection does the - side go to ground? If these questions give you a laugh then I made your day, if you can help me it will make my day. Thanks, Don

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 66
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 66
GMC, I can not help with the dome light, but if you want the quick fix, just add a switch to the light circut.

On the radio, the output from the radio goes to the + side of the speaker. The - speaker lug goes to ground.

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
sounds like you hooked the dome wire to the wrong terminal, tho a bad headlight switch might do that

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 709
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 709
For a quick solution to the dome light until you can figure it out just remove the bulb.


Bruce
Old Toy: Ol' Betsy stock 59 Apache SB Stepside (Gone but not Forgotten)
New Toy: 1962 Impala SS Coupe
The Driver: 1990 Toyota truck
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 93
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 93
I received my shop manual today and checked out the section on lights. The dome light should turn off by rotating the headlight switch knob. It doesn't do that so I guess my switch is bad. Thanks for the replies, Don

Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 565
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 565
Check to see if the terminal you have the light hooked to is hot all the time. On my switch the dome light has power all the time and a counter-clockwise turn of the knob to the stop makes the ground connection for the light, which is on a terminal at the front of the switch next to the guage light rheostat. I have read that the switch should turn off the power and the other side of light is just grounded. I dont know for sure which way is correct but mine works as I described.
Good luck
Jeff


"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just leave me alone, you're starting to freak me out."

1957 GMC 150
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I don't know what kind of speaker you have there but + and - have no meaning for a speaker. Most old auto radios have one wire active to the speaker and the other wire is ground. However, some speakers are internally grounded on one lead so it makes them polarity sensitive. I recently ran in to this with a new replacement from Jim Carter.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Speakers are also marked + and - to keep the phasing correct in multiple speaker installations. Probably not an issue in this case.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
I agree w/ Red58
the dome light wire may be connected to the lights post or you have a faulty switch. try tracing the dome wire and see what it's connected to. It may also just have come in contact w/ the lights post and is wired correctly. In that case simply move the terminals apart and insulate if necessary.
the neg. speaker post should go to ground so just connect a short wire to the new mounting bolt (or any frame bolt) of the speaker.


Jim & Caroline
The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense."
Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe

Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 124
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 124
Hooking the speaker (-) will work fine.

On the dome lamp - check to see if you have a bulb with only one filament (only 1 bump on the base) where you actually need a two filament bulb. I had some funny back-feed when I did this, symptoms were similar.


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0