The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (IHPWR, David Bush, Gdads51), 130 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,142
Posts1,056,472
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 122
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 122
Putting together a 61-261 that will be going in a 37 chev. I bought a short shaft water pump to eliminate the need to relocate the radiator. In dry fitting the front of the engine ie. mountiing the water pump, balancer, generator, fan & belt, I noticed that the fan blade hits the harmonic balancer by about a 1/4 inch. Tried both 4 & 5 blade chev fans to no avail. The hub that's pressed on the water pump is set right for all belt groove alignment. Has anyone run across this before and any easy ways out? As always, your comments are appreciated.

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
This issue has been discussed many times. I think you would find the water pump adapter and a 216 pump will solve the problem. It puts the fan and water pump exactly where it was with the original motor. However I don't think you can use the 37 pump. Pre 68 Dave, the inventor of the adapter can tell you what pump you need.

Last edited by truckernix; 03/17/2013 8:10 PM.

1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,038
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,038
You can look at using a fan spacer, which are available at NAPA and other stores. My COE, with the later 235, already had the later water pump with narrow belt, narrow pulley on the generator and balancer. So the spacer was the easy solution for me. That does leave the fan lower down on the radiator than desirable, so the adapter may be a better solution.
Kent


1937 Chevy 1/2 ton
1942 Chevy 1/2 ton
1947 Diamond T Model 509
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton
1950 Chevy COE Model 5700 ~ "Barney" ~ And more pix
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 338
I
'Bolter
'Bolter
I Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 338
Ran into the same issue on my 40. Just today I cut a section out of the fan for clearance. I would have done the adapter but I just purchased the short water pump and didn't want to pay for another pump.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
I used a smaller diameter fan blade on my 1960 261 for a few years (in the 70s).

I have since used Pre '68 Dave's water pump re-locator with a 1954 fan blade.

Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 239
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 239
I had a similar problem. I have a 1962 261 in my 55 1st series. I called Patrick in Arizona. Patrick had a water pump and fan blade that solved my problem. Couple hundred dollars later with the new parts installed, I had clearance. I recommend calling Patricks. Good luck.

Last edited by nels1954; 03/18/2013 12:24 AM.
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
I would caution against cutting on the fan blade. It will not be balanced and will shorten the life of your water pump, and in some cases could cause the fan to shake apart and make a big mess with pieces flying.

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,424
C
ODSS President
ODSS President
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,424
Originally Posted by don stocker
I would caution against cutting on the fan blade. It will not be balanced and will shorten the life of your water pump, and in some cases could cause the fan to shake apart and make a big mess with pieces flying.

As above^^^. Chopping down a 60 year old steel fan blade with hard to detect stress fracutures and trying to achieve 'balance nirvana' seems like a difficult task. My solution was an aluminum flex fan with a 1/4" spacer. It's mounted with the 'short pump'. The amount of rotating mass is reduced and each of the five blades is affixed by four rivets. I've never had an overheating problem on this dd/only vehicle.


~ Cosmo
1949 Chevy Half Ton
Rocinante, like Don Quixote, he is awkward, past his prime, and engaged in a task beyond his capacities.
"...my good horse Rocinante, mine eternal and inseparable companion in all my journeys and courses." ...Don Quixote, Cervantes
"If you come to a fork in the road, take it."...Yogi Berra
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength." ...Eric Hoffer


Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 202
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 202
I would think the the 55 and later water pump design would do a better job of moving water through the system.

Walt Williams
La Verkin, UT


Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Here are the trade-offs:

Short-shaft 1955-2nd to 1963 water pump on a 1955-2nd to 1963 235/261 block in a 1947-1955 Advance-Design truck:
- might be more efficient water pump in terms of cooling (questionable)
- the fan is 3" lower relative to the radiator, resulting in less efficient cooling
- a fan blade must be found that will not interfere with the harmonic balancer
- possible fan-pulley and/or harmonica balancer and/or generator-pulley miss-match in diameter and groove widths, depending on the equipment/pulleys that will be used. This is not just a fitment consideration, there are implications related to fan RPM.

Pre-1955-2nd 216/235 water pump on a 1955-2nd to 1963 235/261 block installed in a 1947-1955 Advance-Design truck:
- might be less efficient water pump in terms of cooling (questionable)
- fan is in the correct location relative to the radiator, resulting in more efficient cooling.
- allows use of the truck's original equipment harmonic balancer, fan pulley, and generator and the original fan belt will work fine. No fitment problems and original fan RPM.

There is also the consideration of almost original appearance when using the water-pump relocation plate (made and sold by Pre '68 Dave).


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0