The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (lumbersawyer, Shade Baby, TexasA&M48Truck), 88 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,094
Posts1,056,487
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 578
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 578
What's the best wheel for cutting sheet metal with a 4" grinder?


"Happiness equals reality minus expectations" - Tom Magliozzi
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 785
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 785
My local welding supply carries various cutting discs/grinding wheels, etc. They make one with the depressed center for the 4-1/2 grinder that is .045 thick, for minimal heat build/material loss. I prefer to use the more expensive discs made for stainless, they tend to put much less brown haze in the air and all over your shop than the cheapy flea market cut off wheels, and last quite a bit longer as a trade off to the increased price. Yes, more money up front, but longer use, less changeout, etc. so it balances out in the end. I also use the 3m disposable PAINT respirator for a better face seal, and the exhalation valve under the mask certainly helps to keep your safety glasses from fogging up as with the dust masks.

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,714
W
back yard wrench turner
back yard wrench turner
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,714
I use a diamond wheel made for cutting tile. It cuts metal like butter and doesn't wear out.


Wayne
1938 1-Ton Farm Truck
Stovebolt Gallery Forums
1989 Silverado
1996 Mustang GT convertible
When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!

Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 96
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 96
I like the norton or randor wheels I get from the welding store as already mentioned the last much longer the HF type and make less mess. also partial to the 4 1/2 off set wheels

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 176
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 176
I will 3rd. on the importance of the good quality wheels from the welding shop! The cheepo wheels come apart faster than they cut. I use the next size larger wheel with the offset for a little clearance on the fingers. You have to remove the guard, but I don't run it anyway.Be careful if you do this as it's obviously not as safe for your hands! I find that you can see what your doing quite a bit better without it.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
On sheet metal the thicker the wheel, the thicker the cut and the more heat you will build. They make thin wheels expressly for this purpose. All major suppliers produce them, a thick wheel on sheet metal is just wasted effort and cutting medium.

Last edited by Brad Allen; 03/17/2013 3:04 PM.
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
Leo Offline
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
Nothing but diamond discs for me. They are quite inexpensive now a days and last very, very long. Makes a very thin kerf, resulting in less heat.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
I've had good luck with these Metabo wheels, they cut nicely and last a long time.
http://www.lehighvalleyabrasives.com/servlet/the-Abrasive-Cutoff-Wheels/Categories


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-

Moderated by  MNSmith 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0