Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
2 members (Peggy M, 59 fleet),
87
guests, and
4
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,096 Posts1,056,489 Members48,444 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 578 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 578 | What's the best wheel for cutting sheet metal with a 4" grinder?
"Happiness equals reality minus expectations" - Tom Magliozzi
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2011 Posts: 785 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2011 Posts: 785 | My local welding supply carries various cutting discs/grinding wheels, etc. They make one with the depressed center for the 4-1/2 grinder that is .045 thick, for minimal heat build/material loss. I prefer to use the more expensive discs made for stainless, they tend to put much less brown haze in the air and all over your shop than the cheapy flea market cut off wheels, and last quite a bit longer as a trade off to the increased price. Yes, more money up front, but longer use, less changeout, etc. so it balances out in the end. I also use the 3m disposable PAINT respirator for a better face seal, and the exhalation valve under the mask certainly helps to keep your safety glasses from fogging up as with the dust masks. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 1,714 back yard wrench turner | | back yard wrench turner Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 1,714 | I use a diamond wheel made for cutting tile. It cuts metal like butter and doesn't wear out. Wayne1938 1-Ton Farm TruckStovebolt Gallery Forums1989 Silverado 1996 Mustang GT convertible When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it! | | | | | Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 96 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 96 | I like the norton or randor wheels I get from the welding store as already mentioned the last much longer the HF type and make less mess. also partial to the 4 1/2 off set wheels | | | | | Joined: Mar 2013 Posts: 176 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2013 Posts: 176 | I will 3rd. on the importance of the good quality wheels from the welding shop! The cheepo wheels come apart faster than they cut. I use the next size larger wheel with the offset for a little clearance on the fingers. You have to remove the guard, but I don't run it anyway.Be careful if you do this as it's obviously not as safe for your hands! I find that you can see what your doing quite a bit better without it. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 | On sheet metal the thicker the wheel, the thicker the cut and the more heat you will build. They make thin wheels expressly for this purpose. All major suppliers produce them, a thick wheel on sheet metal is just wasted effort and cutting medium.
Last edited by Brad Allen; 03/17/2013 3:04 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 4,215 Moderator | | Moderator Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 4,215 | Nothing but diamond discs for me. They are quite inexpensive now a days and last very, very long. Makes a very thin kerf, resulting in less heat. | | |
| |