| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,110 Posts1,056,274 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 341 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 341 | I was talking with an old-timer in our car club and mentioned I was going to replace the chattering clutch in my '53 w/3-speed. He said loosen the clutch plate, tie off the truck to something solid like a tree, start it, put it in 3rd and let the clutch out. He said let it run like that for a few and it should get rid of the chatter.
I'm just curious, has anyone tried this?
Allan ----- 1951 GMC 1/2-ton Two 1953 Chevy 3100 5-window | | | | | Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 45 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 45 | Go ahead and give it a try. Or start out in 3rd gear a few times. Unless the chatter is being caused by oil on the clutch, this won't usually work. You probably have a pressure plate problem. Either way you will be taking it apart and fixing it right. The warped parts or the oil leak.
The older I get, I only want to work on older rigs.
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 | In my experience soft motor mounts cause more clutch chatter than anything else.
See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet! My Blog | | | | | Joined: Apr 2003 Posts: 608 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2003 Posts: 608 | magfarm, I Second Dave,s opinion. If Your front mount and/or rear mounts are oil soaked out/mush it changes out the Entire driveline alignement/attitude. Especially when putting power to or torqueing up the engine,ie take off from a stop sign/light steve sr. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | I think the burn will just mess up your flywheel and pressure plate big time. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 | I agree! You will most likely end up with heat cracks that can only make things worse.
See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet! My Blog | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 341 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 341 | Thanks for the responses guys, perhaps that was a way to keep the farm truck running without taking it down for repair. The truck sat for about 10 years so I suspect a rusty/corroded spot on the fly wheel or pressure plate, it's done it since I first got it running. I will replace and leave the burn-in to the hot rods on the drag strip... 
Allan ----- 1951 GMC 1/2-ton Two 1953 Chevy 3100 5-window | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 341 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 341 | I finally got the clutch removed and it appears to be oil on the disc from the transmission side. Is there a seal on the front of the 3-speeds?
Allan ----- 1951 GMC 1/2-ton Two 1953 Chevy 3100 5-window | | |
| |
| |