The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (78buckshot, Nick in Manitou, Cletus1950, HandyAndy), 105 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,720
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#921228 02/19/2013 10:34 PM
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 12
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 12
Hey guys, thanks for welcoming me to the site! I have a 1947 3/4 ton chevy pu. The 4speed has been removed and it has a 3speed in its place. Anyway the 3speed started giving me some problems and jumping out of 2nd gear. I cant seem to find anyone that will commit to rebuilding it, they all give me the runaround. The casting # is 591195. I looked that up an it says its a commercial 3speed made from 41-47. I would love to have it rebuilt, but it looks like Im gonna have to go with a different tranny. Can anyone tell me what the easiest tranny swap would be without alot of FAB work under the truck???
My next question is if i put a 373 rearend in this truck will I have enough of a first gear or should i shoot for a 410 rearend. The truck still has the original 473 rearend in it and top speed is around 45-50. I would love to get the old truck up around 60 just to keep from getting run over out there.
Well thanks for reading the post and any help or advice will be greatly, greatly appreciated!
Thanks again and have a great day!

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
Now will be a good time to think about a T-5 conversion. Are you still running a 216 engine?


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
My 53 3/4 ton now has 4:11 rear end gears and wow what a difference it made in all around driving. The 53 has the carrier bearing then to the open drive line, guess your truck would be similar. This may make swapping the trans a bit of a job vs. a bolt in but the overdrive trany would be a huge plus.


It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
1946 1/2-Ton Chevy
1953 Chevy 3/4-ton Factory Stakebed
MY47 #921358 02/20/2013 11:24 AM
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 12
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 12
The motor was rebuilt in 1997 and it was made into a 235. The drive shaft is like your 53, so I'm gonna have to take some measurements and see what I need to do to make it work. I bought a rear end out of a 63 3/4 ton,I think it has 4.11 gears. I'm gonna swap those out and then go for the T5. I just need to find out what its gonna take with my style of drive shaft. If any one has made this swap please let me know. I'm very interested. Thanks again all!

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I haven't worked with the numbers but I would guess that if you install a T-5, you won't need to change your rearend ratio.

Do you mean that they installed a 235?


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
I understand going for a higher speed rear end, but...
The 1947 3 speed parts are readily available, you may need to talk to a different trany shop, check eBay, or PM me.
A T5 is a good swap but would require a 1948-53 bellhousing to get the right bolt pattern.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Originally Posted by MY47
63 3/4 ton,I think it has 4.11 gears.
A stock '63 3/4 ton rear will have 4.56 gears. The 4.11 3/4 ton rearend wasn't offered until '68.


Bill Burmeister
MY47 #921566 02/20/2013 11:57 PM
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
It may be possible to remove the carrier bearing in the driveshaft and go with a 1 piece driveshaft. The carrier bearing crossmember would also have to be removed or re-engineered as a driveshaft loop.

Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 12
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 12
Ok my 47 has been in the body shop for a year now so I'm just now fixing my low rear end and tranny problem. Anyway a mechanic friend of mine gave me a 2 speed powerglide out of a 69 camero and swears it will get me up to 65/70 w/o changing the rear diff. Does anybody have any experience with that and do you know if I will get any more of a top end?

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
What will be your rear-end ratio?

Will you need an adapter to mount that Powerglide to your engine?
Is your engine the 235 your refer-to above (what year 216/235 is that engine - what is the engine serial number)?

Do you know if the 1969 Powerglide is a "standard" Powerglide or a "Torque Drive" Powerglide?


Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,225
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,225
I believe ALL Powerglide transmissions are 1:1 final gear, so whatever rpm you run now to get to 70 mph with your stock transmission will be the same as with the Powerglide.

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0