The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (55shaker, classicfins, 37 GC, Otto Skorzeny, Shaffer's1950, 1946chevytruck, CandoBrent, 1 invisible), 80 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,128
Posts1,056,661
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#920228 02/16/2013 8:49 AM
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 133
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 133
I am rebuilding my heater assembly and am not sure if it has ever been upgraded to 12v. This heater has two motors, one for the cab and one for defrost. I tested both and they work but did not run them long since I was testing with 12v. Question:
1) Is there any way to tell if it is a 6 or 12 volt motor.
2) If six volt, can I just install a voltage reducer for these.
3) This heater has a Chevrolet metal decal on it with a rectangular core, no fresh air. Would this be original to a "48" cab. Name on back plate is Harrison HO-147.
Thanks


If you never tell a lie, you never need to remember what you said.
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
I don't think those heaters with 2 motors were made into the 12V years, pretty safe bet it has 6V motors unless the truck has had a spendy conversion to 12V .... most of the small motors have voltage imprinted on them, otherwise if you can round up a 6V battery or a charger with dual voltage function you should be able to tell, a 12V motor would have a hard time starting on 6V and turn way slow

yes, you could use a pair of reducers, if there's room to mount them so they safely dissipate the heat

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 133
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 133
Would I be better off just changing them to 12 volt over using two voltage reducers. Mounting the reducer under the dash is not a problem, I just want to avoid future problems.


If you never tell a lie, you never need to remember what you said.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
I would like to see a picture of this 2-motor heater.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270

Is this a two-motor heaters? I think so (1947 De Luxe Heater and Defroster).

It would have also been available in 1948 (part-year, or, maybe all-year).

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
yes Tim, "separate electric switches" is the key, my 46 GMC had one that looked different than that one, but had the dual paddle switch unit that someone has posted a picture of in the past

yes Bart, changing to 12V motors would be preferable to using reducers, which get very hot and add one more failure possibility

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Or, you could avoid using any dropping resistors all together and wire the two in series
dropping 6v across each one. Of course you wouldn't have the choice of running each one
separately any more.
Since the truck has apparently been altered from it’s original design, i.e., converted to
12v, it shouldn’t make any difference to you if you use a single switch for the
heater/defroster.

Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Last edited by Denny Graham; 02/16/2013 12:39 PM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 133
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 133
The heater shown by tclederman is the one I have. Denny, thanks for that advice. I think I will bench test these motors wired in series and see how that works before I spend $120 on two new motors. At this point I am not sure how much it will even get used in cold weather. I need to check on the year of this cab since it is not the original cab. I have the plate that came on it that I should be able to tell for sure if it is a "47" or "48".

Last edited by Bart_Bosco; 02/17/2013 10:32 AM.

If you never tell a lie, you never need to remember what you said.
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 566
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 566
I dont know if this is possible but if you ohm the motor out providing its good, can you tell the voltage by a formula? I guess if you knew how many poles it has. I know you can do that on a/c motors. Not sure about d/c.


"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my sweet ride." -Amen

56 Chevy 3100
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
I believe that this would be a good choice to operate and protect your 6v heater motors and switches on 12v ...
> CLICK - Ron Francis Voltage Reducer


- Lonnie
My '54 3104
Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post.
lonniecook [at] aol [dot] com. I sold my '54 3104 12/12/2017, but I still visit Stovebolt.

OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0