The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Gdads51, cmayna, JW51, BC59, Forty9), 108 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,092
Posts1,056,457
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,084
Authorized Pest
Authorized Pest
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,084
Thanks to Sweet for sending this one in.

As it starts:

Didja know, on most Stovebolt Sixes, the oil pan must be removed to get the timing cover off? And if you DID know that, didja come by that knowledge the hard way?? They says true wisdom is learning from others' experience. If you ever want to get at your timing chain without all the drama of dropping the oil pan first, all you have to do is make an easy...

Read the rest.

Peg


~ Peggy M
1949 Chevrolet 3804
"Charlie" - The Stovebolt Flagship
In the Gallery
"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
Definitely a good tip that many of us have used. The only thing I would suggest is to use allen head bolts as opposed to hex head because there can be a wrench/socket clearance issue with the cover in installing and removing the hex head bolts. Using a handled allen wrench alleviates that issue.


Drew
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 574
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 574
NOW you post this!!!! grin


1949 Dodge Coronet
1955 2nd Chevy 4400 1.5 ton
1955 2nd Chevy 3100 1/2 ton
1955 2nd Chevy 3100 1/2 ton
1957 Chevy 5400 LCF 2 ton
1966 Dodge D100 Sweptline
1968 Chevy P20 stepvan
1969 GMC LWB pickup
1972 GMC Sprint
1974 CP30 shorty bus

There are three things that I've learned never discuss with people: religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin.----Linus Van Pelt
Trying to understand the behavior of some people is like trying to smell the color 9 big_eek



Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 402
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 402
My word, but that's a nice-looking engine!

And, I might add, this tech tip work only cost me three beers (I think SWEET would have done it for two, but I'd have paid a case).

Looks great.

Jim


1957 Chevrolet 3100 Stepside
235, 3-speed w/OD
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,418
ODSS Lawman
ODSS Lawman
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,418
Well then, looks like I need to stop by for a few cold ones!!



SWEET
Sergeant At Arms: Old Dominion Stovebolt Society
BUNS?!?!?!Where we're going, we don't need no buns.....
1950 GMC 450
1951 Chevy 1/2-Ton
The GreenMachine
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 396
1
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
1 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 396
WHOA, just read the Tech tip and it says to use a 3/8 drill bit to drill and tap for a 3/8-16 bolt.Should this not read drill the holes to 5/16 inch and tap to 3/8-16? Jerry



Jerry
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 396
1
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
1 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 396
OK, Here is what I found on the 235 block that I am getting ready to replace my 1951 chevy 216 engine and trying to follow the original posted tech tip. Will this mental torture ever end? The 2 lower bolts removed from Inside the pan threaded into the timing gear cover were 5/16-24 grade 5 bolts. When I fit a 5/16 drill bit shaft into those 2 block holes, it is sloppy loose.That is the bore size I would use to thread the 2 holes to 3/8-16 as per tech tip. Going up in size in drill bit diameter, I find that a 21/64 inch drill bit just fits the existing hole. looking at my US Tap and Drill Bit Size Table, that is the exact size needed for a 3/8-24 inch bolt. Please, I already drilled out the Timing gear cover to 3/8 inch. Is my block a misfit? Thanks to all for guidance! Jerry



Jerry
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Only the cover needs to be drilled. The holes in the cap can be tapped as is, as 51 said above.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,096
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,096
Please read the tech tip carefully. It does NOT say to drill the bearing cap . Just the covers.

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 10
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 10
I used to drill and make them removable from the front in the early 70's i also modified the front of the block to get the extra oil in the cover to drain back to the pan faster. This was easier than adding a fitting and drain line to get it back to the pan.I learned the oil drain trick from some of the old timers that raced these old engines on circle track and speed trap runs.

If you modify the block to drain the oil from your timing cover, the gears explosions will end and RPM will increase dramatically. My old 6 was built in the 70's at and has a lot of miles on it and has seen RPM's way over the normal range.

Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 10
F
New Guy
New Guy
F Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 10
I did this on my 59 GMC 270 with good results.
With pan off, tapped with 3/8-24 unf, no drilling.
Did this with everything bolted to the crankshaft as is.. afterwards i cleaned with brake/carb cleaner and sucked up the chips with a vacuum cleaner..

Just put a dash on gasket material on the new bolts so they wont leak, workes for gmc 270, i do not know if the hole sizes are different on Chevy's.

Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 45
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 45
Are there any exceptions?
When did they change this, or did they? Is my 66 like this too?
I'm no engine guy but have a 53 GMC (Canadian) that has a leak up front. The engine is a Chevy.
Can someone explain how to alter it to drain better, as it was mentioned in this thread? I would want to do that too, if I go in there.


All you can do is all you can do.
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 872
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 872
I did this mod... ended up drilling and going to a larger size bolt. After I tapped the main cap there was like 10-20% of the thread formed... was not happy with it since You need to have a decent torque to seal the cover.

Driller/tapped larger size no problems.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0