The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (BC59, klhansen, mick53, 1955 1 Series), 102 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,277
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 36
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 36
I have a new 21 circuit wiring harness and would like to change to 12V. I have a '51 p/u and all wires are removed. The engine is a 1961 235. my qustion is to get an HEI distributor is it possible to upgrade in some way the origninal or do i need to buy a new one.
I know very little about ignition wiring or coil vs. HEI.
Need a little help to keep it all simple.
Not sure why i need HEI other than i don't what any electrial hassle. (trouble of points and a coil) although i have many extra parts (points distributors)
Is it foolish to go with new 12V harnes and use old points dist?
Please advise, thanks very much. Mike.


51 3100, 235 purs with T5 swap
54 Belair 305 & 700r4 few more months to go
I'm on a 1950 3100 that needs very little. A true barn find $1000
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 239
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 239

There are a couple of very good HEI articles in the Tech Tip section of this web site.



When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
-Unknown-
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Points need to be filed and re-adjusted about every 1000 miles. If you only put 1000 miles a year or less it's not very inconvenient. But if you plan to drive 10,000 miles a year, that is a lot of maintenance. I'd go with HEI or Pertronix.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,094
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,094
upgrade to a pertronix,or contact langdons stovebolt engine co.,He has a hei that is a bolt in. They are both about the same cost, however, if the pertronix breaks down, you may have a hard time finding a new module right away. If an HEI breaks , any auto store should have the module in stock.

For your info I have pertronix on my 261 and have run it for 5 yrs no problems.


Tommy
59 apache 1/2t
261 short stepside
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

mike & sons,

It looks like you have extra distributors. I carry one with new points, condensor, rotor, and cap, just in case the Pertronix unit goes out. I have never had a probem in 15 years of using 12v and 6v Pertronix units on 234/261 engines. You might want to buy a matching 6v/12v coil from Pertronix. The internal resistance will match what is needed by the Pertronix unit.

Make sure the drive gear in the spare distributor matches your year engine/cam. Any 1955 and later 235/261 distriibutor will work on your 1961 engine. If you have a 53/54 distributor, let us know and someone will tell you how to determine if the distributor is OK for use in a 1961 engine.

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Langdon's HEI is about $200. The Pertronix is less than $100. I wouldn't call that "about the same cost".


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 725
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 725
@ Mike and sons,

Hi ya'll, I thought I knew where Wade is but I had to look it up. I'm in Raleigh so we're practically neighbors! Ok, on to business.
Points vs HEI; HEI wins every time, simply because they are set it and forget it, any unit you use, modified late stock, Pertronix, or Langdon's. Tom Langdon is a super guy to deal with, but his distributor is expensive. Pertronix catalog is a nightmare. The 1975 through 1988 Chevy straight 6 HEI is ugly, but oh does it work good, but it requires some modification. How you go is up to you, but I'd tend toward the late stock guy. Once the mods are done they're done and you can get parts at any parts house.

I lived for years with the stock original and don't think I set the points more than every normal tune-up. I drove a 1975 C-10 (250 L6,) from Raleigh to Canada North of Toronto, to West of De Moines Iowa, to Raleigh and never touched anything under the hood except the dip stick. I did use a quart of oil.

My point here, is that ANY system in proper tune and good condition will serve you well!

With the HEI, don't forget to run a switched 10ga or 12ga hot from the ignition switch to the distributor. Don't use the old coil wire!

Drop me a PM if I can help!

Best wishes,

Les

Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,094
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,094
Hey Cletis,
When I installed the pertronix on my truck, I replaced the distributor with a rebuilt unit. Then the pertronix, a new coil, and a set of new plug wires. It was just about the same price as the hei. I didn't see any point in putting a new pertronix unit in an old worn out dist. If you do it right the first time, you don't have to repeat the process.


Tommy
59 apache 1/2t
261 short stepside
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
I would use a used HEI. Check this out, Fun little mod for cheap, http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=189074


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0