The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (DadsFirstPickup, Peggy M, 32Fordpuchoptop, farmallb, Otto Skorzeny), 312 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,100
Posts1,056,168
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
I need the following original specs for a '51 3100 6v positive battery cable...

- Lug Hole Diameter (both ends)
- Cable Length

Ideally I'd like to find a premade 1ga (or 1/0 or 2/0) cable. Everyone from NAPA to the usual online vendors only list a 4ga positive cable for AD trucks. ...I believe 2ga was original.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Check Tractor Supply Company

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
Never mind. Found one on Jim Carter's site...

1 gauge
39 3/4"
Cloth covered

http://www.oldchevytrucks.com/cart/product.asp?prodid=EL164&i=|battery%20cable|||51?sdes=battery%20cable|


...they also sell a vinyl covered 2ga version.

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
Originally Posted by tclederman
Check Tractor Supply Company
I was going that route but I didn't know the lug hole diameter at both ends or the correct cable length.

The 1ga cable from Carter's should be sufficient and I know it'll fit.

Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 899
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 899
I was able to pick up some 0ga cables from JC whitney a couple years back. Very stout and top quality!


Ed
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
Forty9, what were the lug and terminal hole diameters?

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
hey Eric, you want terminals to fit the battery and starter you have rather than someone elses wink

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 899
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 899
These are 2/0ga cables, one end was battery terminal and other lug had a 1/2" hole. I used a copper washer like the kind used on oil drain plugs (only smaller..think I got it at Ace hardware) to act as a reducer on the starter stud (foot starter). My neg cable goes to the starter lower mounting bolt and was a perfect fit.


Ed
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
Originally Posted by red58
hey Eric, you want terminals to fit the battery and starter you have rather than someone elses wink

Bill
Wah waahhh. grin

Originally Posted by Forty9
These are 2/0ga cables, one end was battery terminal and other lug had a 1/2" hole. I used a copper washer like the kind used on oil drain plugs (only smaller..think I got it at Ace hardware) to act as a reducer on the starter stud (foot starter). My neg cable goes to the starter lower mounting bolt and was a perfect fit.

Cool. The closest tractor/farm supply store is about 45min to 1hr away. I think I'm just going to call up a stereo store that does automotive installs and see what they have. Finding terminals to fit shouldn't be too tough.

Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 899
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 899
Check welding supply or businesses that service large trucks.


Ed

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0