The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (klhansen, tclederman, KEVINSKI, Swami29, StevenO, 55shaker), 107 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,114
Posts1,056,605
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 29
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 29
The electrical system in my 2-ton flatbed is shot, and needs replacing. I am looking at getting the wiring harness kit from Chevy Duty, but I'm not sure if it will be the right size, that is, if it will reach all the lights. If this doesn't work, I don't want to have to spend $100 finding out. Is there a good aftermarket harness that might work? If nothing else, I will resort to replacing one wire at a time, but I don't want to have to do that. Any help would be appreciated.


'48 Chevy 2 ton Flatbed
(daily driver)
'70 BMW 2002
My truck is older than my parents!
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
don't see why it would be much different, Teen - the back lights will need extensions to make the length, but that's easy, and all else should be the same

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 29
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 29
That's what I figured. I think I'll give it a try, and modify it if I need to. Thanks.


'48 Chevy 2 ton Flatbed
(daily driver)
'70 BMW 2002
My truck is older than my parents!
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
I bought the Chevy Duty kit for my '53 6500 and enough bulk trailer wire to run to the rear. I'm using the white wire for the brake lights and the yellow, green and brown as usual. I haven't gotten it all hooked up yet but I imagine I'll need a ground strap from the rear of the frame to the dump bed where the lights are if it doesn't already have one.(haven't been under that end yet) I don't know if the hinge point will make a ground.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 385
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 385
I don't know how long your truck is, but I had wire left over from the Chevy Duty kit on my 19.5' panel, and I had to route the wires up into the body to reach the taillight pods. If the wires are too short, it won't be by much.


1955 First Series GMC 250 1-Ton Panel
In the Gallery
Mr. Hedgehog - Follow the build
If you can't laugh at yourself, I'll laugh at you.
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
My '53 2-ton 6500 has 179" wheelbase and a 16' bed. After looking at my shop manual I find the '48 2-ton was only offered in 137" (6100) or 161" (6400). But the point is, the harness will work.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 29
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 29
I have the 6400 and it does have the 161" wheelbase. I went ahead and bought the harness, which comes itself with extra wire for "accessories" that I may end up using. OlBlue is out of town, and I think I'll need his help, so it may be a few days before I start redoing the wiring. From the looks of the harness it appears quite generous. I'll let you guys know how it goes.


'48 Chevy 2 ton Flatbed
(daily driver)
'70 BMW 2002
My truck is older than my parents!
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 332
G
Big Bolt Shop Curmudgeon
Big Bolt Shop Curmudgeon
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 332
When in doubt, add a ground wire.

I'll double-dog guarantee you that there is enough paint, rust and grease on your dump bed to interfere with grounding tail lights, marker lights or whatever.


Drivin' down a 2 lane country road in a stovebolt.....cowboy, it don't get no better than this!

1946 1-1/2 ton Chevy
"Ol Blue", or "THE BIG 'UN"
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 29
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 29
Just for those that are interested, it fit, although we had to use the extra wire that came with the kit, and we had to pull wire from another harness to wire up the turnsignals under the dash. I assume the extra lengths of wire were for that. Still need to do a little troubleshooting, but it seems to be working great.


'48 Chevy 2 ton Flatbed
(daily driver)
'70 BMW 2002
My truck is older than my parents!
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Great to hear it. Mine's still on hold mainly due to the heat.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0