The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 129 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,241
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#906673 12/27/2012 10:22 PM
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 93
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 93
.Going to replace the 216 in my 3600, 53 pu. with a 54', 235. The motor was frozen,{ got it apart. one cilender was (cruded up).Looks like,it was on the bottom of a river.? is what would I be looking at for 1.reboring, 2shaft also?.......Thanks Paul,PS this is my first time, my brother is doing all the work,I run for tools,(Baby brother, guess he's finaly getting even?)

Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 566
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 566
I am in the process of doing the samething. I am not sure really what your asking but here is what i would do. Since you have it all apart. Have the machine shop tank it and check it for cracks. Check the crank also. Then decide what up grades if any you are planning. Order your parts and good luck with doing your first rebuild. You will get tons of advise and the stovebolt guys are never shy answering a question just do not be shy to ask. Have fun and good luck with it.


"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my sweet ride." -Amen

56 Chevy 3100
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 93
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 93
Ya, they'er a great bunch,I never fell dumd asking questions.A bunch of swell guys.I'm thinking of re gasketing the pane and main seals of my 216 in the mean time to see if it will stop some leaking.First a little JB Weld on a cracked block,(reason for 235 up grade). Thanks for getting back to me....Paul

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,418
ODSS Lawman
ODSS Lawman
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,418
Are you planning to assemble the engine or have a shop to that?


SWEET
Sergeant At Arms: Old Dominion Stovebolt Society
BUNS?!?!?!Where we're going, we don't need no buns.....
1950 GMC 450
1951 Chevy 1/2-Ton
The GreenMachine
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Just to make sure that you/we know what engine you are dealing with: what is the engine serial number that is pressed into the block in the ledge/boss that is just to the rear of where the distributor goes into the block?

If you get to the point that you find you need a new cam or a new head, ask here. There are reasonably-priced upgrades, if it is necessary to replace head/cam.

Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 93
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 93
It's a 54 motor with #0046902T54Z, and a 3 speed trany, (I'm useing my 4 speed).Havimg help putting it together from a cupple of guys that know what there doing.My master mac. is 79yrs. old and tuff as nails.In a prevest post I was told this was out of a car?? Any hlep is app. .......Thanks , Paul

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

T54Z is a 1954 car engine made in Tonawanda, NY and installed in a manual transmission car. It would have mechanical lifters.

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/chevyresto/5409.htm

Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 93
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 93
Thanks Tim. Wate to you see my next post about the crack I'm trying to JB Weld.....Paul


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0