The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (53 green 1- ton, dt235sd), 99 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,713
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 207
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 207
I've got a '65 230 with gauges not dummy lights. The oil pressure gauge is mechanical. I don't remember if the gauge worked when I bought it from the original owner or not but it had what I thought was a weird plumbing arrangement for the gauge.
It has a T fitting screwed into the passenger side block, the oil gauge line runs out of this fitting to the gauge(this seems normal) but then off of this same fitting a rubber hose comes off and down into the top of the oil pan. The oil pan is tapped with a screw-in fitting. I have a couple of questions for you guys:
1. Why did they tap into the oil pan?
2. Do I need this tap and should I get rid of it?
3. I already put the pan back on the engine and the engine is in the truck. Can I cap the oil pan tap fitting and use some sort of Permatex product to make sure the oil pan fitting seals and remains seated?

I know I should have figured this out prior to installing the pan but it's what I've got to deal with now. Thanks in advance.

Tom


Tom
1965 Chevy C10, 230 straight six, 2WD, 4-speed manual
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,228
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,228
There is no reason to run oil back into the oil pan. I suspect at some point there was an extra oil filter added. Remove the " T " fitting and plumb straight to the gauge and plug the other hole.

Joe

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 207
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 207
Thanks Joe,

That's what I thought.


Tom
1965 Chevy C10, 230 straight six, 2WD, 4-speed manual

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0