The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 139 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,127
Posts1,056,680
Members48,452
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 251
P
Bolter
Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 251
I have searched the forum and haven't found any previous discussion on this. So I have a dumb question... I removed the set screw in the interior door handle and window crank handle. Sprayed a good lubricant into the screw holes, since I do not know how long the handles have been on there. With a little prying the window crank came right off. But I cannot get the door handle off. Prying seems to have pulled the shaft out of the latch mechanism so the handle just spins in circles now. I still cannot figure how to get the handle off. What am I missing, and did I just break my latch? The door still closes and latches using the outside door latch. Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited by Woogeroo; 12/22/2012 3:33 PM. Reason: added year/model to topic

“Old Blue” 1953 Chevrolet 3100
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 251
P
Bolter
Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 251
Oh, sorry, I forgot to mention I am working on my 1953 3100. Thanks.


“Old Blue” 1953 Chevrolet 3100
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
There are two screws in the handles one is a set the other covers it, did you remove them both?

Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 251
P
Bolter
Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 251
Hey, thanks for the quick reply.
I just went out and double checked... there is only one screw, it is a straight slotted 10-32 set screw with a smaller tip on the end. If there is a screw under that, I cannot see it. No slot or allen hole on top. Just looks like a flat on the shaft.


“Old Blue” 1953 Chevrolet 3100
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 251
P
Bolter
Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 251
So is the door handle the same as the window crank? Pressed onto a splined shaft?


“Old Blue” 1953 Chevrolet 3100
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
Spline

...pic...

Door relays are not to expensive,
Check with a mirror for the first set screw..

Your latches are probably fine
The pic above is an aftermarket relay For a 50

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 863
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 863
one screw is on top of the other one....remove one to access otherset screw....2 screws same hole....


My GMC has a bad case of ship fitters disease!
GMC: Get More Cash...
1958 GMC
1956 Chevy 1500 Hydraulic Dump Truck
1952 Chevy 1700 3-Ton Firetruck

My Webshots photos
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 251
P
Bolter
Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 251
The first set screw was slotted for a straight screw driver. Is the second one the same, or an allen head? I don't see either one when I shine a flashlight in the hole. Sorry if I sound like a dummy, but I have never had this much trouble taking a door handle off before.


“Old Blue” 1953 Chevrolet 3100
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
Joe - likely you got out the only set screw, but sometimes the shafts and/or handle can get chewed up from the set screw being loose and the handle being abused, you may have to use a lot of muscle to get it off and you'll likely find the shaft is too chewed up to be useable

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 251
P
Bolter
Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 251
Thank you Bill.
I will try again tomorrow. I will see if I can get some PB Blaster in there before I try prying on it again. I will post the results, and take some pics of the process. May help make it easier on someone else next time.


“Old Blue” 1953 Chevrolet 3100
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
Not all handles have the two screws. They may have at first but were either removed or got lost. I only have one per handle.


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 251
P
Bolter
Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 251
I realize it has been awhile... but I thought I would update this thread. I ended up cutting the door handles off. big_eek Someone had used epoxy to keep the handles from coming loose. nono It worked very well! They definitely were not going to come loose! smile So I had to buy two new door relays and handles. ohwell But I have no problem opening or locking my doors now. thumbs_up


“Old Blue” 1953 Chevrolet 3100
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 2
5
Moderated
Moderated
5 Offline
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 2
I have a 1952 3600. I ordered and received new door relays for both doors because the splines on the shaft are worn and the handle will spin freely on the shaft (I have to open the door using the outside handle now). The new ones look the same as the originals. The problem is one of the three screws holding the mechanism onto the inner door panel is covered up by the pivot for the relay arm (see the attached image). How do I remove this screw?
Attachments
Door relay.jpg (855.51 KB, 107 downloads)
Door relay.jpg (855.51 KB, 105 downloads)

Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 793
Former BMW Rider
Former BMW Rider
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 793
Jim,

Using an old handle or pair of vise grips, operate the door relay and you'll have access to that screw!


Andy

His: 1947 Chevrolet 3104
Hers: 2008 American Saddlebred

"I proudly Stand for the Flag and Kneel for the Cross" Unknown
Joined: Apr 2019
Posts: 122
J
JD1 Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2019
Posts: 122
You have to move the pivot arm back towards the door. Sometime this pivot arm won't move because the latch sticks. You can loosen the bolts on the latch and move that a bit so you can get to that screw holding the remote on.


1951 Chevy 3100 1/2 ton (1957 235, 4 speed, 411 rear)
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,258
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,258
I've always used an open end wrench. Loosen it, remove the accessible bolts, spin the assembly to clear the hidden bolt, remove bolt.

Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 2
5
Moderated
Moderated
5 Offline
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 2
Andy, I understand what you are saying and I think that should be the normal way to do it. I can get the arm to move but not enough. It still has the original clutch head screw so I need to be able to get good access to it with my driver. I will try JD1's suggestion to see if I can get the pivot to move back toward the latch side of the door. I sure to not want to have to take the latch out completely. Thanks to Andy, JD1, and MNSmith for your help. I'll let you know how things go when I have a chance to get back to the task. By the way, here is an image of the vehicle in question.
Attachments
1952 3600.jpg (266.42 KB, 59 downloads)

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,258
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,258
Sorry, I completely forgot that the original screws were clutch head. I always replace mine with regular bolts for serviceability.


Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 793
Former BMW Rider
Former BMW Rider
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 793
Jim,

Were you able to remove those screws and get your new door controls installed?


Andy

His: 1947 Chevrolet 3104
Hers: 2008 American Saddlebred

"I proudly Stand for the Flag and Kneel for the Cross" Unknown

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0