The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Otto Skorzeny, J Lucas, dt235sd, Cosmo, jeffreyguy, Charles in CA, LAROKE), 132 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,107
Posts1,056,221
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 11
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 11
I have a 53 chevy 3/4 ton with original split rims that are 8 lugs. Tire shop doesn't want to touch them for me. I would like any input on wheels I could replace these with. 15" or 16". I wish I could use my original hubcaps though! They look great and they match my overall color scheme. Any ideas would be great thanks

Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 306
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 306
tru design wheels in denver co will take your rims apart and weld new ones to your original wheel hubs
it's pricy but you can keep your 8 lug wheels and use your hubcaps
pm me if you want the number

rolf


1963 c10
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 11
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 11
any other options like wheels off an older 3/4 ton that will allow use of my hubcaps?

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
There are numerous posts on this topic. I will share with you what I did because I retained my original hubcaps. The rears will bolt right up, I used wheels off a 1991 Chevrolet Suburban 3/4-ton. The fronts will not clear in most cases without work. I modified my steering arms and tie-rod ends for clearance. Search through some of the posts for other ideas. PM me if you want all the details on how to attach the hubcap clips and modify the front end pieces. Here is picture link you can see my caps/truck.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/advance-design_parts_co/8129054429/in/set-72157631867396207

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 32
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 32
Have you tried a "real" tire shop that does heavy trucks, equipment, etc? This shouldn't be a problem for them.

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
Ford 8 lug rims from the 70's up until about 97 work good. Dexter wheel has "trailer rims" that some members have used successfully. I used some 16" Fords, they just barely clear.

http://s1074.beta.photobucket.com/u...mp;_suid=1356102398016021678446910493304

Last edited by Whitedog; 12/21/2012 10:08 AM.

1954 3600 Chevy Truck
"The Fake Truck"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 11
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 11
thanks guys, that'll give me some ideas to toss around!

Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 11
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 11
So i can just tack weld the hubcap clips on? Or maybe put some small bolts through the wheel to hold the hubcap clips on?

Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 159
H
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
H Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 159
Hey matt, i did a lot of work on this and posted photos. If you search for harryr posts, the original post was no 748598. Let me know if i can help.

Harry



748598

Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 11
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 11
Thanks


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0