The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (GRNHydra, Gdads51, Hotrod Lincoln), 69 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,353
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 153
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 153
I'm trying to change out a key start, solenoid-starter-type ignition switch. It appears to be the stock 1952 GMC switch and I can't figure out the correct formula to remove the lock cylinder which needs to come out first before removing the switch bezel and hence the switch. There are 2 holes in the lock face to insert wires, drill bits, etc. My GMC shop manual gives no removal instructions and Chevy instructions haven't worked so far. Any suggestions on the proper removal sequence would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.


1946 Chevy pickup, 1948 Chevy suburban, 1950 Chevy pickup, 1952 GMC pickup, 1957 Chevy pickup, 1939 Chevy pickup
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 153
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 153
The Chevy shop manual speaks of turning the cylinder clock-wise. Turning CCW might be a welcome improvement. Thanks for the info! Dave


1946 Chevy pickup, 1948 Chevy suburban, 1950 Chevy pickup, 1952 GMC pickup, 1957 Chevy pickup, 1939 Chevy pickup
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 28
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 28
Yes - I just did this with my 53 3600 and it only worked after turning clockwise after doing the paper clip maneuver. And my key switch only had one paper clip hole...

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 55
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 55
I still have the original key for my 1952 Chevy 1/2 ton truck. The positions on my ignition switch don't seem to agree with any descriptions I read on replace the key portion only. my key goes in with teeth pointing up. 45* left of straight up and down is the "OFF" position. Key straight up and down (teeth facing up) is the "ON/START" position, and 45* to the right is I guess "ACCESSORIES"-gauges on truck will not start. The face of the lock has two holes. I bought a new insert and keys, but have not tried to remove the cylinder yet. I will review the provided "tech tip" link. Any further suggestions appreciated. Brad


1952 Chevy 1/2-ton
"Me and Ol Blue/True Blue Both Born in '52"
Follow this fun story in the DITY
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,950
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,950
Brad - Just a my $.02 worth, but it sounds like your ignition switch is installed upside down.

Below are snapshots from a 1952 Truck owners Manual describing the ignition switch location, position and functions. The description of switch operation sounds like yours is 180 degrees off. Your switch also shouldn't have a third position according to the owners manual, so maybe replaced at some point in the past???
Attachments


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,469
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,469
This is a 13 year old thread.


'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12
'52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 55
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 55
Dan, I wondered about that. I have the shop manual and owners manual, and will take a close look. I will not feel so bad replacing the switch then. I will miss that old very worn and thin brass key that I got with the truck in 1973. I will replace it this weekend. I hope it come off easier than nearly every bolt or screw I attempt to remove. (I will search a thread about that later!) Thanks, Brad

Last edited by rinemb; 03/19/2026 1:51 PM.

1952 Chevy 1/2-ton
"Me and Ol Blue/True Blue Both Born in '52"
Follow this fun story in the DITY

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0