The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Woodcmiami, MRMEROTH11, Gray_Ghost, 1 invisible), 129 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,121
Posts1,056,328
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 62
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 62
Flumoxed.

We transplanted a running 235 from a 'Burb into our '51 GMC project, and now we can't get it to start.

All engine accessories were removed when lifting, and I suspect that's the root of the problem. But it appears that distributor, carb, etc are all installed correctly.

The engine turns over well, and sometimes when adjusting the timing seems to want to start, but does not. Occassional backfire.

New quality battery cables. Ground strap hooked up.

Yesterday a buddy and I replaced the coil, regapped the points, checked the firing order and timing, and confirmed spark.

We did not replace the ignition resistor, but when installed or not there was no difference.

Still, no fire. We are still just pouring a little gas into the carb to start her.

Stumped! Thanks for any ideas. Dickson


1950 Chevy 3100 short bed
1951 GMC 3/4 ton long bed
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Did you rotate the engine after the distributor was removed?

Did you rotate the shaft in the distributor while it was out?

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy Dickson, it sounds to me like the timing is out, tcledermans questions are good ones. I would verify the timing of number one cylinder with the finger over the spark plug hole method. Two other questions, how long has it been since this engine ran, and how long before that did it have a tune-up? I have seen many "running" engines swapped that would not start when they were installed in their "new" vehicle, many of those engines needed new spark plugs. When the distributor was re-installed did it go all the way in to engage the oil pump drive? A bad condensor can cause all kinds of ignition problems, maybe a full tune-up is in order, hope that helps.

Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 206
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 206
it ran like five weeks ago when we pulled it out of my ride. it ran great, it might have gotten turned ,has new condenser not touching wall, new points, old ballest,

I just dropped the distributer back in after we set the motor in, and then assumed that when the ball and pointer matched ,and the roter was pointing to the #1 spark plug I was at top dead,

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
You may have dropped it in 180* out.

Tim


1951 3100 Chevrolet
1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall
Image
"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams."
"Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything"
"If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,418
ODSS Lawman
ODSS Lawman
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,418
I agree with Tim. Set the engine at TDC and redo your timing....


SWEET
Sergeant At Arms: Old Dominion Stovebolt Society
BUNS?!?!?!Where we're going, we don't need no buns.....
1950 GMC 450
1951 Chevy 1/2-Ton
The GreenMachine
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
It's an Omen! That GMC is rejecting the shorter chevy motor. Put a long motor back in there!

All kidding aside it really sounds like a timing issue. Loosen the distributor and turn it both clockwise and counter clockwise till you find a sweet spot for it to start.

Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 206
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 206
it was 180 off!

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
That's an honest mistake,happens a lot.
Drew,are you helping Dickson ?


Tim


1951 3100 Chevrolet
1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall
Image
"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams."
"Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything"
"If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 487
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 487
It seems like it happens to me every time I install a distributor.
One time recently, I thought to myself "I always get this backwards, maybe I should swap it 180 now, and avoid the problem"

Yeah, you guessed right. It was still 180 out.

regards,
Leon

Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 206
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 206
yeah dickson and I transplanted my engine into his truck but its one day a week, at a time, ( we only get to wrench together on sundays)

We pulled the 235 running out of my burb and dropped it in his 51
I guess the dizzy was off 180'. I messed with it a week ago for like six hours wondering why it wouldn't fire, i kept adjusting points, then we got a new set, and I adjusted those the rest of the day.lol


Last edited by drew_vigil; 12/10/2012 7:46 AM.
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 62
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 62
Actually, Drew is helping me. I bought his engine & help in the transplant.

Lacking any other ideas, we pulled the distributor and rotated it 180. I figured it was easy enough to reverse if it did not work.

And she fired!

The GMC truck is indeed rejecting the 235, as the starter did not fully retract from the flywheel. Thus, when the engine ran through all the gas we'd put in the carb it messed up the starter. Easy enough to get another....

Thanks for the help guys! Dickson


1950 Chevy 3100 short bed
1951 GMC 3/4 ton long bed
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
get some of that anti-rejection stuff they use when they transplant kidneys, and put it in the oil. Quick!!!


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0