The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Hotrod Lincoln, 1955 1 Series, tricordati), 157 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,095
Posts1,056,480
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 24
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 24
Hi all. Got the 60 on the road again and realized I really need to replace the 52 yo wiring. I have been searching what others have used but couldn't find a thread that listed more than a couple manuf. It looks like Painless is high priced but seems like a nice kit.
Lectric has a great site with lots of info on their kit. A little less than Painless. Looked at their custom update series as my truck has hei,one wire alt. Vdo gauges etc.
Rebel wiring is really inexpensive but had no info on their kits that I could find.
I am leaning towards Lectric but if Rebels kit is good I would consider it for the price.

Any comments , stories , links would be great.


1960 Chevy Long Wheel Base

When I die, I plan to slide in sideways yelling "Woohoo what a ride!"
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 693
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 693
i used Lectric and couldn't be more pleased

Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 24
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 24
+ 1 for Lectric. I like that they give a lot of info on their product.


1960 Chevy Long Wheel Base

When I die, I plan to slide in sideways yelling "Woohoo what a ride!"
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 687
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 687
What is the cost of the Lectric for a 1950 3600 6V ?? How does that compair to what JC sells?


David Gilmore
Stovebolt Pictures
Paint progress
____________________________
1950 Chevy 3600
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 24
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 24
Didn't look at jc whitney.
http://www.lectriclimited.com/mainpage.htm
Here is Lectics site.


1960 Chevy Long Wheel Base

When I die, I plan to slide in sideways yelling "Woohoo what a ride!"
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 142
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 142
Used ez wire on my 49 f-1.Had good info,workes fine.Also got it on e-bay for 20$. It was new,no one else bid.

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,714
W
back yard wrench turner
back yard wrench turner
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,714
I also used ez wire. It was easy! smile


Wayne
1938 1-Ton Farm Truck
Stovebolt Gallery Forums
1989 Silverado
1996 Mustang GT convertible
When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
I used A Hot Rod Wires harness in my '56 and like it so well I bought another for my '54 GMC project.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 133
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 133
i've used 3 rebel kits.i like them and have one on the wall for my 47 1.5 ton going in this winter. can't beat 'em for the price, and they go in easy.

daren

Last edited by darenhg72; 11/19/2012 6:26 AM.

1952 GMC 1-Ton
1946 plymouth
1947 ford
custom builder
http://www.doublegcustoms.com
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
I used the EZ Wiring kit.My only problem was the wire print is very small for these old eyes. I did notice American Autowire is having a 12% off sale beginning 11/23. They are the most expensive to buy though.


Drew
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
I have a painless kit for my 46. The instructions are clear and it comes with almost everything you need, and for mine it plugs directly into the GM column, headlight switch, etc. It's super easy and I don't think the cost is very high for what you get!


1946 GMC Pickup - S-10 Frame, 455 Buick, TH400, original patina.

My 46 GMC on Photobucket
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
I used a Painless Universal Truck harness I bought on E Bay for $ 100.00 ( Brand New ). Worked great and good Tech support when you get stuck.


1940 Chevy KC 1/2-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 24
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 24
Lots of good replies. I am going to check out EZ wire . I suppose Painless , Rebel or others may be better but Ez seems good. They show the crosslinked polyethylene wire in their kits. Hotrod wires looks good as well.

Around $200 for Ez - $270 for Hotrod wires so not bad.



1960 Chevy Long Wheel Base

When I die, I plan to slide in sideways yelling "Woohoo what a ride!"
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 150
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 150
I got a set from Speedway. Everything was well labeled and laid out and good instructions. Since this was my first time and I was building the truck from scratch (new engine, column, heater/AC, wipers, etc) I had a few questions which Speedway's tech folks were glad to answer.

Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
We use the factory-fit/factory-correct wiring harnesses, manufactured by:

M&H Electric Fabricators, Inc.
www.wiringharness.com


Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 901
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 901
I bought a replacement stock wiring harness running an alternator for my 55.2 Chevy 3100 from American Classic Truck Parts. Haven't installed it yet, but the intstructions are not very good. I don't think I would recomend this harness to anybody.


Brian
1955.2 3100 Truck
The older I get the more dangerous I am!!!!!
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 133
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 133
i've used a stock replacement harness from there and would not recommened it unless you are going for stock-original. basically no instructions.

daren


1952 GMC 1-Ton
1946 plymouth
1947 ford
custom builder
http://www.doublegcustoms.com
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 566
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 566
Ron Francis has some good stuff they will send you a catalog thats pretty impressive and very informative.

As far as discounts I was reading in the H.A.M.B. if you belong to that forum and mention their name you can get a 10% discount from Rebel if you mention it. Maybe they should do that here.


"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my sweet ride." -Amen

56 Chevy 3100

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0