The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (bucktruck, dt235sd, Stelonlevo, Hotrod Lincoln, Mike B, 1 invisible), 104 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,119
Posts1,056,648
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 83
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 83
I am working on a '41 chevy 3/4T pickup. Ultimately when finished I plan for it be driven to local car shows, parades and the occasional Saturday night in town. Probably 1,000 miles or less per year.

I don't have the original engine, but I do have a '41 216 that is in good shape. It would still need to be gone through before putting it in the truck to save headaches later.

So my question for your thoughts and opinions...would it be better to match the engine year with the truck year from an originality standpoint and potential resale value...or keep looking for a full pressure 235?

Thanks,
Chevman

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270

It's a matter of personal choice and convenience/availability/cost of the engine.

I'd put the 216 in it (if readily available, and the price was good), for conversation value (original-year engine). The car and truck 216s at that time were close to identical, if not exactly identical (maybe someone knows if the carb/air-cleaners were the same - I'd bet they were).

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 83
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 83
The '41 engine is from another truck so I don't see any truck application issues.

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,989
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,989
If you needed to buy an engine, then it would probably make more sense to find a 235, but as long as you've already got this engine, I'd say use it. It'll last forever for the amount of driving you plan to do. I'd bet the original was worked a lot harder than that!


Rich
1947 Loadmaster
1947 Chev. Loadmaster
1959 Chev. Viking 40

Life is short--eat dessert first!
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 83
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 83
Thanks all!

Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
I would try to find a 54 235 since it would be the easiest to install and you can add 216 parts to make it look somewhat original.

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,048
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,048
My '41 3/4 ton had a 216 car engine that was in bad shape. I installed a '53 Powerglide 235. Used the 216 manifolds, carb, air cleaner, rocker cover, oil filler, clutch and 4 spd. trans. all bolted right up. After 5 years of cruse nights and local car shows only one person was able to identify it as a 235.

In the end it is your choice.


1941 Chevy Master 3/4-Ton
In the Gallery
More images in the Bolt Bucket

Born to fish, the truck is only a hobby.

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0