The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jon G, frogfarmer, Cletus1950, Wally / Montana, greenie-reddy), 152 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,106
Posts1,056,213
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#8935 10/29/2002 2:36 AM
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 96
V
'Bolter
'Bolter
V Offline
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 96
Soooooooo....
Here's the thing. It's almost winter, and up in Vermont it's a little too cold for me to do any kind of outdoor bodywork stuff on my 1959 Apache (it lives outdoors for lack of a garage), and the engine is waiting a few weeks until a space opens up in my buddy's shop to be rebuilt, so I'm busy cleaning up and painting engine parts and such, and rebuilding the carb.
I have a few questions about the carb.
First of all, I don't know if its the stock carb or not....I have no reason to believe it's not, it's a Rochester B, you know, 1 barrel, man. choke, 10 parts...
First of all, the guys at the parts store couldn't match the number for the rebuild kit, and in the carb section in my old chilton's book, the number is skipped over. The number is 7004497 ummm...I think, I don't have it on hand, but I'm pretty sure that's it...maybe it's 7740097....but whatever it is, it ends with 97, and all the books only go up to 95, then skip up a bunch. The kit I wound up getting seemed to match all the parts, so I guess it's not a big deal. Anybody have any insights????
Next, and this is the big one...all the exploded diagrams I have show a spring holding a ball against the hole in the main well support assembly where the power piston runs into it, and it makes sense that there would be, but there wasn't a spring or a ball whan I cracked mine open. Should there be? It looks like it was rebuilt not too long ago, so maybe somebody forgot to put it in? Or is my carb a unique wierd design that just doesn't have this? There are a few different little balls and springs in the rebuild kit, and I put a ball and spring that seemed to fit nicely in , and they they push up pretty easily, so I don't know....
Any help would be great....I didn't tighten the screws too much yet, and it wan't be needed at least until the engine is built...but I'd love to solve this soon!
Any other advice on a first attempt at a carb rebuild?
Thanks, guys
vtapache


1959 3200 Apache Fleetside
In the Legacy Gallery
#8936 10/29/2002 5:40 AM
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 346
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 346
vtapache,

I'm looking at the diagram in the '59 Parts manual and it does show (from the top down), a ball, a spring, and a screw under the hole in the main jet and power valve support. The grouping of the ball, the spring and the screw is listed as the 'valve unit, carburetor power '

It appears that there are two holes in the bottom of the support. The smaller one holds the metering rod jet. The larger one holds the ball, the spring and a screw/jet. Can't tell from the diagram if the 'screw' has a hole in it or not.

The parts manual lists carb repair kits for 57-59 Ser. 3-4-6 (6 cyl.):

use w/carb. 7003526-3863-64-65-3968-4468-4475-76-77-78-4495-4620-4915-5140-5921-22-5982-
7172-7180-81-9253-54-55-7013029-3953

Which I think translates into the following carb numbers being used on 6 cylinder trucks from 57-59:

7003526, 7003863, 7003864, 7003865, 7003968, 7004468, 7004475, 7004476, 7004478,
7004495, 7004620, 7004915, 7005140, 7005921, 7005922, 7005982, 7007172, 7007180,
7007181, 7009253, 7009254, 7009255, 7013029, 7013953.


'38 Chevy 1-1/2 ton
'49 Chevy 1/2 ton
'54 Chevy 6400 2 ton
'55.2 GMC 3/4 ton
'56 GMC 1-ton

No Room Left in Shop
#8937 10/29/2002 5:40 AM
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
Don't worry about having the right kit, the same one is good for about 30 years, the only difference being the accelerator pump. Iirc, you should have the ball and spring in your B model.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
#8938 10/29/2002 5:50 AM
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 346
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 346
vtapache,

The only other spring/ball combination in the carburetor is the accelerator pump discharge check valve.

The '61 service manual says to "drop the large ball into the pump discharge cavity of the bowl and then place the bronze colored spring on top of the ball. Index end of pump discharge guide into bronze spring and press down until guide is flush with bowl surface."


'38 Chevy 1-1/2 ton
'49 Chevy 1/2 ton
'54 Chevy 6400 2 ton
'55.2 GMC 3/4 ton
'56 GMC 1-ton

No Room Left in Shop
#8939 10/29/2002 10:33 PM
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 582
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 582
Got to agree. Rebuilt my Roch on my 261 thinking that it might have come from a 235 or from so other car. Bought two kits. One for a truck and one for a car. The truck one was right and even between the two kits there was very little difference. The number on my carb base wasn't found in the cross reference guide but the kit worked great.


Country Roads, West (By God) Virginia
http://community.webshots.com/user/geezer
#8940 10/30/2002 2:45 AM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
If your carburetor is the same as mine, you will have two ball and spring pairs and they are different sizes. The one set is for the pump and without it the pump will not work. the other is inside the assembly which holds the power valve in place. This ball valve is pushed down off it's seat by the power piston under certain vacuum contions to allow greater fuel flow for more power, hence "power valve".


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
#8941 10/30/2002 4:23 PM
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 96
V
'Bolter
'Bolter
V Offline
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 96
thanks guys, that helped a lot!
vtapache


1959 3200 Apache Fleetside
In the Legacy Gallery

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0