The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (JW51), 181 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,100
Posts1,056,168
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#891734 10/24/2012 2:31 PM
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 170
1
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
1 Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 170
Has any one used a later firewall mounted brake booster on thier Big Bolt with any success? I have the pedals out of a '70 1 ton and want to mount them on the inner firewall. I need a pretty good sized booster to take the place of the Hydro-vac I would imagine? This is a 6x6 so there is another 2 slave cylinders involved, 6 of them. What have you used other than a Hydro-vac?....thanks, I know someone has been here.


1936 Chevrolet 1.5-ton SWB
"Murtahg"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

It's only original once.
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy 1936only, it is more a case of having a large enough bore master cylinder to move the volume of fluid required in the stroke available from the booster. Once the system is full of fluid, and the brakes are adjusted up to where they should be, there should be no problem. Where the problem can come from, is not keeping up with your manual brake adjustments, hope that helps.

Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 170
1
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
1 Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 170
So if I borrow a booster from say a 5 ton truck in a bone yard would I be ok? I've seen guys put on small car boosters and they can't stop. The bore size is the issue then and using the vaccum booster of a large truck should do it if my replacement bore is as big or bigger than the original I should be ok, provided I keep on top of my adjustments, correct? It would be better to use the entire brake and clutch assy. from the donor for geometry too I suppose? Thanks for the response 3B....Rick


1936 Chevrolet 1.5-ton SWB
"Murtahg"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

It's only original once.
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy 1936only, If you can find a booster/master cylinder from a tandem that would be your best shot. However trying to find a vacuum booster system for a tandem may prove difficult, most hydraulic systems one ton and up have been Hydroboost for a few years now, good luck.

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
If you go with a modern hydroboost system you will be much happier. The amount of room needed on the firewall is less and you can even make room under the floor for a hydroboost system. The down side to going under the floor is the length of the lines that go to the pump mounted on the engine.

Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 170
1
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
1 Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 170
Thanks guys, I've got literally tons of room for any system. I will look for a tamdem set up. I was missing any hydro-vac system when I picked up the truck. I'd love to put in an 80's brake set.I've got some good heavy truck bone yards around this logging town.....thanks again guys I'll keep you informed as to what works.


1936 Chevrolet 1.5-ton SWB
"Murtahg"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

It's only original once.

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0