The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (1955 1 Series, TUTS 59, Gdads51, TooMany2count, 2 invisible), 74 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,088
Posts1,056,348
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
Hiya Bolters...

my truck kinda floats and bounces a bit, on the highway... which makes me ponder getting new shocks... but um, I do not know anythign about shocks... and this being my first truck... I thought I'd come ask around in here for some Shocks eduMakshun. wink

So... places to read about shcoks, suggestions for a good shock for my type truck...
It is jsut a plain 65' lwb step with a v8...
I have not crawled under it yet to see what is on there currently...

thanks folks!

-W

Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
My advice is to avoid Monroe. kind of like Midas mufflers, they have a lifetime warranty and depend on you selling the vehicle before you put 40K miles on them.

I have Gabriels on my 52, got em at my local parts store. Had to order classics for the rear, he had the fronts in stock. They seem to work pretty good.

I'm putting nitrogen shocks on my 69, ended up ordering the rears from Bowtie Bits, the fronts I was able to buy Gabriels. It will be another week or so before she's back on the road, I can't work very fast or long.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 687
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 687
I second Fred T on the Gabriels. I have a set on my 1966 shortbed stepside. No floating on the highway whatsoever and a really nice ride over rough terrain.

Only trouble is if your old shocks are old it could be a royal PITA to break the nuts on those old rusted bolts. Hope you have an air compressor. If not plan on taking it to a local garage.

-ftyler

Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 23
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 23
I just finished putting new shocks on my 89 F-150, the PO never thought about replacing them. So it was a bumpy ride considering it has almost 200K miles. I went with Napa shocks, but if i would have had the money, i wouldve gotten Bilsteins. Im not sure, but they might have the right shocks for you. Of course, these shocks give you a stiffer ride, which gives you better performance out of your pickup.

Drew


55 2 dr 210- after college project
56 2 dr 210- after '55 project
"D'oh"
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
Thanks everyone for your two cents...

-W

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
ftyler,
which Gabriels shocks didja put on yer truck?

-W

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
Get the Monroe big heavy duty shocks for the front. They give great handleing & control. Napa handles them. It seems like any good shock works good on the rear. Flyer is right. They can be difficult to remove especially if you are in the rust belt. smile


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
I got pb blaster, liquid wrench, elbow grease and an impact wrench.

Maybe I can get 'em off. grin

Here is some info. I got from a guy(ozzyracing) with my kinda truck over at 67-72chevytrucks.com:

Here are the front shocks:

---------------------------------------

GABRIEL_MAX_CONTROL
MONOTUBE SHOCK 77355 LLT $49.99


Here are the rear:
GABRIEL_ULTRA G63306 LLT $28.99

---------------------------------------

Again, I got these from Auto Zone. The fronts were in stock at one store and the rears are just about everywhere.

Also, my truck is not lowered but I do have a 454 up front and I love these shocks. My old shocks were completely worn out, I could compress them easily by hand and they would not expand on their own.


-------------- end -------------

-W


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0