| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
8 members (ESum, Steelonsteel, TUTS 59, bobwithm, Maybellene, Ponchogl, Bill Hanlon, Gdads51),
96
guests, and
3
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,088 Posts1,056,124 Members48,435 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2012 Posts: 3 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Oct 2012 Posts: 3 | I've got a '39 Coupe with a '56 235 and have put '57 - '58 Chev gears into the '39 case and converted it to open driveshaft. I've just broken a tooth off and want to go to a Saginaw 4 speed because I can get a floor shift from Patricks for it. Will this fit without cutting the gearbox crossmember. I still have the master cylinder mounted to this. I'm looking for a '48 - '54 pickup bellhousing as we speak. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 | 1937-39 pass transmissions are the shortest Chev transmissions I have ever seen. I Saginaw will be much longer.
See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet! My Blog | | | | | Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 2,544 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 2,544 | It will take some fabrication to make it work. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,798 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,798 | The Saginaw case has the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the SM-420 and other late model transmissions such as the 55-up passenger car and truck 3-speed boxes. I'm pretty sure it won't bolt up to your bellhousing without some adapting. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2012 Posts: 3 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Oct 2012 Posts: 3 | I'll use the '48 - '54 pickup bellhousing that I'm told will bolt to the motor, has the engine mounts at the front which I've got now and has the late gearbox bolt pattern. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 | You are correct on all of those points, although 54 is not the last year you could use. 1948-59 should work. A 1955-62 pass 235 bellhousing would also work if you are using key start.
See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet! My Blog | | | | | Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 37 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 37 | My 47 3100 had the 216 with the 3 speed on the floor. I have a 54 235 that I wanted to use a Saginaw 4 speed with. The saginaw would not fit the narrow bellhousing that I had for the 216. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 | kswillie, If you use a 1948-53 truck bellhousing it will all bolt up.
See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet! My Blog | | |
| |
| |