The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 117 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#889058 10/12/2012 11:38 PM
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 3
0
New Guy
New Guy
0 Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 3
I've got a '39 Coupe with a '56 235 and have put '57 - '58 Chev gears into the '39 case and converted it to open driveshaft. I've just broken a tooth off and want to go to a Saginaw 4 speed because I can get a floor shift from Patricks for it. Will this fit without cutting the gearbox crossmember. I still have the master cylinder mounted to this. I'm looking for a '48 - '54 pickup bellhousing as we speak.

0hixul6 #889067 10/13/2012 2:22 AM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
1937-39 pass transmissions are the shortest Chev transmissions I have ever seen. I Saginaw will be much longer.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
0hixul6 #889078 10/13/2012 7:57 AM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
It will take some fabrication to make it work.

0hixul6 #889126 10/13/2012 1:38 PM
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,798
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,798
The Saginaw case has the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the SM-420 and other late model transmissions such as the 55-up passenger car and truck 3-speed boxes. I'm pretty sure it won't bolt up to your bellhousing without some adapting.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 3
0
New Guy
New Guy
0 Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 3
I'll use the '48 - '54 pickup bellhousing that I'm told will bolt to the motor, has the engine mounts at the front which I've got now and has the late gearbox bolt pattern.

0hixul6 #889213 10/13/2012 9:29 PM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
You are correct on all of those points, although 54 is not the last year you could use. 1948-59 should work.
A 1955-62 pass 235 bellhousing would also work if you are using key start.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
0hixul6 #889527 10/15/2012 11:59 AM
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 37
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 37
My 47 3100 had the 216 with the 3 speed on the floor. I have a 54 235 that I wanted to use a Saginaw 4 speed with. The saginaw would not fit the narrow bellhousing that I had for the 216.

0hixul6 #889531 10/15/2012 12:25 PM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
kswillie,
If you use a 1948-53 truck bellhousing it will all bolt up.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0