The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Phak1, texczech, Shade Baby, WICruiser), 88 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,136
Posts1,056,427
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#887926 10/08/2012 5:12 PM
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
SO I am thinking I should put some relief cuts on the flat sides of the welt like upside down V's to make the welt flow to the curves of the fender. Eliminate bunching.

I will cut the minimium amount needed 4-5 I would guess.

On target?


Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
Leo Offline
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
That's what I did. The tighter the curve, the closer together the notches.

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 695
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 695
You might find this helpful.

Welting

Good luck!
Jerry


1959 Chevy Apache 3200 Stepside
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Restoration Journal on Facebook

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul." ~ George Bernard Shaw
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
unfortunately this welt was rolled and in a bin for some time. No matter what I do it has kinks from being rolled up so tight. Good article -

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
The first time I put mine together I cut the welting exactly as described in that article and still wasn't happy with how it followed the contour or what was left between the panels. For my second try (after final paint)I found that buy cutting slots instead of a V and using a hole punch at the ends the welting was much more cooperative. See here and here.




1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod
You Tube
53Cowboy #888592 10/10/2012 10:59 PM
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
Excellent solution Curt! I'm always looking for another excuse to use my hole punches and that's a great one. Makes me wonder if a similar approach can be used with metal.


Give me ambiguity
or give me something else
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
I think my issue is the welt I have was curled up for too long and it is cheap vinyl I am going to try this one
http://www.julianos.com/fender_welt.html

A bit pricy but naugahyde is all natural!!

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
Originally Posted by BullSnotCowboy
.... A bit pricy but naugahyde is all natural!!
yeah, all natural plastic wink

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
53Cowboy #888771 10/11/2012 10:08 PM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Natural? Unnatural?

Was the use of fender welt "natural" between the rear fenders and the bed on Advance-Design trucks?

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
I thought that the AD trucks used welting for the front fenders but not the rear fenders?????

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
Originally Posted by don stocker
I thought that the AD trucks used welting for the front fenders but not the rear fenders?????

True


Drew
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
That is a correct.

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
Welting or not on rear should be decided based on how flat the fender lays against the bedside. Is there daylight? The mounting flanges were mostly rotted off on my truck so with the huge amount of metalwork I was pretty happy to have less that 1/32" gap anywhere and a pretty uniform corner radius. Welting will hide pretty big imperfections between the fender/bedside.






1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod
You Tube
Curt B. #888948 10/12/2012 2:25 PM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Originally Posted by Curt B.
. . . Welting will hide pretty big imperfections between the fender/bedside.

So will a layer of two of 30# roofing felt. And the fender-to-bed appearance might still look original/natural.

Curt B. #903296 12/13/2012 12:23 PM
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 91
4
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
4 Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 91
Help me understand this it looks like you used a hole punch and then cut from the hole to the outer side of the welting away from the seam.??


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0