The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (moparguy, tclederman, Otto Skorzeny, 68ironhead), 137 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,128
Posts1,056,683
Members48,452
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 623
"MONGO"
"MONGO"
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 623
Ok, for some time I've wanted a radio to fill that void in my dash but the price on radio's for 47-53 trucks is so high, and now that the only AM station I liked in our area is gone. I looked at some of the aftermarket one's that fit the holes but I really would like it to look original. Some time back I bought the plastic pieces from CD (knobs, Dialhousing, etc.)and have been meaning to build a wooden box to house a modern radio the same size as the original radio. I have a couple Sony headunits laying around that have a remote plug on them so I plan on interfacing the modern radio via the stock radio knobs and buttons. Sunday I spent a couple hours with a cabinet maker buddie of mine and built the box, thought I'd share and see what you guys think.

Pics Here

The box is actually 1.5 inches deeper than the stock radio I did this to make more room for the wires on the back of the modern headunit. After test fitting the only negative for that is that I have to open the cowl vent to install the radio but after that it opens and closes as normal.

MONGO


Mongo's Garage
Vintage GM Truck's & Parts
https://mongosgarage.com
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Yo Bro, I think I like your idea and am anxious to see how it turns out. Specifically I'd like to know what you do for knobs on a modern radio with the split stems. They are smaller than the original stems so those new knobs you got from C-D won't fit. That's the problem I have with the new Custom Autosound unit in the 53'. Gawdawwwfulll knobs they sent with it. I'll be watching.

p.s. - how are you coming with that extended cab I saw in your garage?
Dave


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 623
"MONGO"
"MONGO"
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 623
Dave,
I'll prob. be making my own shafts for my setup so we'll see how that turns out when I get that far.
The extended cab is on hold for a time, I've put it into storage up at the farm. Too many projects going on at once.
MONGO


Mongo's Garage
Vintage GM Truck's & Parts
https://mongosgarage.com
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 3
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 3
That Mongo is something else!


Tom E.
1953 GMC, 1953 BUICK ROADMASTER
(I was born in 1953)

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0