Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,139 Posts1,056,455 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 338 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 338 | SO I am thinking I should put some relief cuts on the flat sides of the welt like upside down V's to make the welt flow to the curves of the fender. Eliminate bunching.
I will cut the minimium amount needed 4-5 I would guess.
On target?
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 4,215 Moderator | | Moderator Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 4,215 | That's what I did. The tighter the curve, the closer together the notches. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 695 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 695 | You might find this helpful. Welting Good luck! Jerry | | | | | Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 338 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 338 | unfortunately this welt was rolled and in a bin for some time. No matter what I do it has kinks from being rolled up so tight. Good article - | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,513 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,513 | The first time I put mine together I cut the welting exactly as described in that article and still wasn't happy with how it followed the contour or what was left between the panels. For my second try (after final paint)I found that buy cutting slots instead of a V and using a hole punch at the ends the welting was much more cooperative. See here and here.
1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod You Tube | | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 1,901 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 1,901 | Excellent solution Curt! I'm always looking for another excuse to use my hole punches and that's a great one. Makes me wonder if a similar approach can be used with metal.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 338 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 338 | I think my issue is the welt I have was curled up for too long and it is cheap vinyl I am going to try this one http://www.julianos.com/fender_welt.htmlA bit pricy but naugahyde is all natural!! | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | .... A bit pricy but naugahyde is all natural!! yeah, all natural plastic  Bill | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Natural? Unnatural?
Was the use of fender welt "natural" between the rear fenders and the bed on Advance-Design trucks?
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 2,544 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 2,544 | I thought that the AD trucks used welting for the front fenders but not the rear fenders????? | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 2,393 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 2,393 | I thought that the AD trucks used welting for the front fenders but not the rear fenders????? True
Drew
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,513 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,513 | Welting or not on rear should be decided based on how flat the fender lays against the bedside. Is there daylight? The mounting flanges were mostly rotted off on my truck so with the huge amount of metalwork I was pretty happy to have less that 1/32" gap anywhere and a pretty uniform corner radius. Welting will hide pretty big imperfections between the fender/bedside.
1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod You Tube | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | . . . Welting will hide pretty big imperfections between the fender/bedside. So will a layer of two of 30# roofing felt. And the fender-to-bed appearance might still look original/natural. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 91 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 91 | Help me understand this it looks like you used a hole punch and then cut from the hole to the outer side of the welting away from the seam.?? | | |
| |