The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Hotrod Lincoln, klhansen), 119 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,127
Posts1,056,357
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#887080 10/05/2012 11:09 AM
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 687
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 687
What's the difference? I am running a 6V system now in my 1950 3600. No issues and don't really have a need to change to 12V, but would like to install a new harness during paint. I see the harness from J/C is available in 6 and 12 volts. Is there a difference in wire size?

Thoughts?


David Gilmore
Stovebolt Pictures
Paint progress
____________________________
1950 Chevy 3600
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 433
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 433
6 volt wires are larger... I kept mine 6 volt...



1954 Chevy 3104 3 Window Hydra-Matic in my family for over 60 Years

Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right... "Scarlet Begonias" Grateful Dead 1974
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 835
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 835
Even if you are going 12v, you might want to use the 6v harness as the wire size is larger.

Kurt

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
Buy the 6-volt version and you will be covered both ways. Often the decision to go with 12 or 6 is what people use the truck for. So if you are looking to add accessories or modern systems like heating/ac etc., that may be something to consider. You have to ask what you want the truck to do?

Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 687
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 687
Thanks folks. Brad, how ya been? I'll keep cranking along with the 6V. I see classic has a harness for $150.

harness

Seems like it would work. I think the time to do this would be during paint as the dash will be dissembled anyway.

Thanks.


David Gilmore
Stovebolt Pictures
Paint progress
____________________________
1950 Chevy 3600
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
I used the $150 harness from Classic Parts and when it arrived the sticker on the bag said it was for both applications.
Basically a harness intended for 6v makes a heavy duty 12v harness since the wire used for 6 is thicker/heavier. So should you ever want to switch, you've already done the wiring work.

Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 687
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 687
Thanks. Pretty straght forward? I'm guessing a few hours of work.


David Gilmore
Stovebolt Pictures
Paint progress
____________________________
1950 Chevy 3600
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
I bought that harness for my truck and it works great. I did convert to 12-volt and I have had zero issues. It does not take that long and it comes with pretty good directions. My advice though is take your time make all the connections perfect, make all your runs supported and well protected, heat wrap all the wires where they go into the connectors and when you are done you won't be sorry. Time to do it right is now because as we all know getting up under that dash is no fun.

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
Took 2.5-3 days on my '51. One to gut the old stuff, another to install the new stuff along with cleaning up any rusty grounds and the final to troubleshoot, find some stuff locally and fix. I went slow and double checked everything.

Here's the blog entry from when we did mine.
http://rustyfiftyone.com/2012/07/09/let-there-be-light/


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0