The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gray_Ghost, 1 invisible), 111 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,129
Posts1,056,697
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 45
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 45
I need to get away from my 4:56 gearing. I would like to be able to do 65mph.

Is taller gearing available or will I need to swap rearend with a 1/2 ton unit?

What is available for a 1/2 ton unit with 6 bolt lugs and compatible brakes?


Click the link to see my truck.

http://smu.gs/OuBwfv
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 301
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 301
I swapped mine out this summer with a rearend from a 69' F250 with 3.73. The width is almost identical. The spring perches will need to me moved slightly and angled properly to lower the differential shaft to a level or slight down angle. The drive shaft will need to be shortened and a different yoke put on to match the F250's. I am very happy with it and i have a 3/4 ton rearend I can readily buy parts and gear sets for.


1949 Chevy 3600
1975 W-25 Hurst Olds
1970 GMC 1/2 ton Fleetside
2010 Chevy Silverado
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 45
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 45
How much did it lower your RPM's at 65mph?


Click the link to see my truck.

http://smu.gs/OuBwfv
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
Try this link for an RPM calculator. http://www.ringpinion.com/Calculators/Calc_RPM.aspx

I've purchased a GM 14 bolt rearend for use in my 54. A 14 bolt Dually rearend basically has the same Wheel mounting surface width as the oem Eaton.

I'm with BZTGUY on having a rearend that has parts readily available. GM started using the 14 bolt in 73 and is still using it and Ford has been using one or other variation of the Dana for probably 50 years. Just something to think about.


1954 3600 Chevy Truck
"The Fake Truck"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0