The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (39Master85, JW51), 129 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,095
Posts1,056,468
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 71
H
Member
Member
H Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 71
Several weeks ago I posted this problem with my 49. Chevy Duty wiring harness, 12 volt with alternator. The only way to shut the engine off was to disconnect the battery.

With everyone's help, the ignition switch was the suspect so I took it apart, cleaned, etc. and it bench tested ok.

I started it up tonight and same thing, except now even disconnecting the battery doesn't shut it off (I guess it would eventually) I shut it down by pulling the coil wire.

I'm going to swear (until proven wrong) that all of the wiring is correct.

I read an archived post where someone had the same problem with a 59 and solved it by installing a 12 volt warning light (resistance???) in the line running from the ignition switch to the alternator.

I'm open to suggestions, I'm in over my head on this one.

Thanks,

Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 32
R
Junior Member
Junior Member
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 32
You need to check the wire going to the + side of the coil, if this wire has voltage with the key off you need to find where the voltage is coming from,the coil should not have power with the key off. If you disconnect the battery with the engine running the engine will continue to run as long as the alternator is charging, but doing this can damage the alternator.


1951 Chevy 3600, 1996 Yukon, 2000 Road King
It is easy to take liberty for granted, when you have never had it taken from you.
http://www.stovebolt.com/gallery.htm
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 71
H
Member
Member
H Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 71
Thanks. I have two wires going to the (+) on the coil.

1.Line from ignition switch with the ballast resistor. This one seems to be ok.

2.Line from side terminal of starter switch. This one is hot with or without the ignition on. I guess that makes the starter switch the newest suspect. And it is a new switch. I'll have to take it off and have a look.

Am I correct that the side terminal should only be hot when the switch is depressed?

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
If you are using a GM alt. with internal regulator
you must have resistance or a diode in the signal
wire from the ignition switch. I use a dash light
with plastic socket & 2 wires. That also gives
you a warning light.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 336
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 336
About your two wires going to the + side of the coil:
1. wire from ballast resistor is correct.
2. this wire should go to the ballast resistor bypass terminal on the starter motor. If there is no bypass on your starter motor, you can wire it to the starter switch. However it should only be hot when the starter switch is activated. You said it is hot all the time? That's not good for your battery or points.

Try this: disconnect the second wire on the coil so the only wire to the + on the coil is the one from the ballast resistor. Start the engine. If you can shut it off normally, you have ruled out the alternator as the problem.


Gord
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
Does your alternator have a DA plug (two wires) on it? If so, try disconnecting the plug and shutting off the engine. That will rule out the alternator if it shuts off with the DA plug disconnected. The sense lead of the voltage regulator is supposed to be connected to the battery but the indicator is supposed to connect to a switched source. If they are backwards the alternator will power the ignition through the regulator and it won't shut off, although if there is a bulb or diode it should prevent that.
Also, some ignition switches (the one on my '50) have two accessory terminals that are isolated, so you can connect the accessories and alternator to one and the ignition to the other and prevent that problem.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
I didn't have this problem ... but my engine was "running on" just a tad when I shut it off, until I installed a diode on the wire that goes to the alternator from the ignition:
[img]http://www.alanhorvath.com/54chevy/chevypics/wiring_1.jpg[/img]


~~ Alan Horvath
1954 Chevy Pickup
Singing his praises in the
Passing Lane
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 71
H
Member
Member
H Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 71
The starter switch appears to be the guilty party. I disconnected the wire going from the side terminal to the coil and everything works ok. The starter switch is new. I haven't had a chance to pull it out and see what the problem is.

Thanks everyone.


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0