The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (DadsFirstPickup, Bill Hanlon, 1 invisible), 147 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,231
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#881036 09/08/2012 9:55 AM
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 255
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 255
Can this be used on bulb sockets in our old trucks? Should it be?

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Sure

It does not promote electrical conduction, it acts as a seal and helps to stop oxidation/corrosion (making a moisture/oxygen barrier) outside of the contact surface (which you want to be clean metal to clean metal). It is electrically non-conductive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicone_grease

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-dielectric-grease.htm



Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
I use dielectric grease on every electrical connection I ever do. As Tim mentioned, it helps prevent corrosion.

Jeff


My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 16
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 16
I have been using the gm nyogel 760g, or the motorcraft electrical grease which I believe is xg12. For small terminals, fretting is causing issues, and these greases prevent voltage drops on low current circuit connections. I have fixed many vehicles with various electrical issues with this stuff.

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146

Hello,

Here is a ancient Chinese secret.

"NO-OX-ID A-Special Electrical Grade" is the best bar none. 1 tube will last a lifetime, Unless you let your neighbor use it, than it disappears.

The telephone company has been using NO-OX-ID for seventy years. I have seen fifty-year-old NO-OX-ID on connectors that I've disassembled and the stuff is still goopy and the connections are still bright and shiny as the day they were made. http://www.sanchem.com/aSpecialE.html

Don't waste your time with anything else.

Thanks



Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 575
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 575
Cool - I thought I was the only one who uses that stuff - love it. And you're right, I've had 1 tube for over 10 years now!

Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
Does it work as well on battery terminals as they say it does?

That alone would be enough incentive to buy it.

Larry


I don't own a vehicle that isn't old enough to drink.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
jorb's product should work fine on battery posts.

I have used for years the following, readily-available product:

Description of NAPA product:
(Conductive) Anti-Seize Compound & Lubricant, 4 oz
NAPA Part: BK 7652569
Product Line: Balkamp

Features_&_Benefits:
Premium Quality Copper Anti-Seize & Thread Lubricant That May Be Used to Prevent Seizing, Corrosion & Galling Where High Temperature Conditions Exist, Contains High Percentage Of Micro-Fine Copper Flakes, Provides Good Electrical Conductivity

I also use the battey post anti-corrosion felt rings available everywhere that auto parts are sold.

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
Originally Posted by LGriffin
Does it work as well on battery terminals as they say it does?
Larry
Telephone Central Office Switching equipment operate on (-48 volts DC (meaning the Hot side is negative) from banks of batteries connected together using big fat cables coated with NO-OX-ID. The batteries are stored in a separate room from the Switching equipment. The Switching equipment get their power directly from the batteries. The batteries are charged from rectifiers that run on outside AC power from the local utility. The rectifiers convert 220 AC power to -48 volts DC to charge the batteries. The back-up power source to charge the batteries are diesel generators. When they loose outside AC power the diesel generators automatically start up and charge the batteries. They have about 4 hours of diesel fuel, the batteries then are on there own, and last about 4 hours, then phones go DEAD.
The telephone company has been using NO-OX-ID for seventy years.
After reading the above, do you think NO-OX-ID would work on batteries?

Thanks



Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
jorb, I'm sorry it's still a guess. I'm not questioning that it an excellent product for electronics. I was hoping to get some practical experience with automotive batteries in an old truck. I should have been clearer on what I was looking for.

Larry


I don't own a vehicle that isn't old enough to drink.
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
Originally Posted by LGriffin
jorb, I'm sorry I was hoping to get some practical experience with automotive batteries in an old truck.
Larry
No need to be sorry Larry,
I was just into one my funks.
I'm sorry, I should have been more respectful.
NO-OX-ID will work on any electrical connection old or new.
NO-OX-ID prevents the sulfuric acid and hydrogen crystals forming, that's the white powdery corrosive substance and maintains a solid metal to metal bonded connection.
This stuff works great on scratchy volume controls. DeoxIT, #D5S-6 http://store.caig.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1602/.f?sc=2&category=188

Thanks, I hope the info helps.

Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
[quote=jorb
NO-OX-ID prevents the sulfuric acid and hydrogen crystals forming, that's the white powdery corrosive substance and maintains a solid metal to metal bonded connection.
This stuff works great on scratchy volume controls. DeoxIT, #D5S-6 http://store.caig.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1602/.f?sc=2&category=188
[/quote]

That's what I was wondering about. Most of the products you find at the parts houses seem to create as big a mess as they are suppose to prevent. Something that would coat the battery terminals with out a mess would be nice. In the next few months I'm going to replace the batteries in my motorhome. I'll have to give a NO-OX-ID a try.

Larry


I don't own a vehicle that isn't old enough to drink.
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 575
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 575
I've been putting it on my daily drivers battery terminals for years as well. Great stuff.



Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0