The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (1946chevytruck, Gdads51, 55shaker, Swami29, Otto Skorzeny, 3800GUY, tclederman), 97 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,114
Posts1,056,604
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#880394 09/05/2012 12:17 PM
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
I mistakenly suggested Elevator Bolts when the correct bolts are Step Bolts, looks just like a std. carriage bolt, just larger head, for GM and others.


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Depending on where you look for them that's no mistake, same bolt by both names.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#step-bolts/=j5tpke

Or here's what's called a step bolt and resembles original.
http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=22546&ucst=t

I used elevator bolts from McMaster and while they weren't exactly like the original they are just as functional and no one will ever see them or care.

The elevator bolts I got are dead flat on top of the head and tapered under it. The originals are more like an extra large and low head carriage bolt that is flat on the under side and domed on the top.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 55
E
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
E Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 55
I am so glad someone posted about these bolts. I was just getting ready to ask for my truck. Perfect timing.

Eric

Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
Both elevator bolts and step bolts will work.

If you use elevator bolts, you will need to grind about 1/8" off of one side of the head make it fit into the opening in the running board. The head of a 1/4-20 elevator bolt is 31/32" dia. The head of a 1/4-20 step bolt is 13/16" dia.

The previous owner of my truck used elevator bolts with one side of the head ground down and they worked fine. I have the boards off to prep for painting and will replace with step bolts from the Filling Station. However, elevator bolts might be a better choice because they are available in stainless.


- Lonnie
My '54 3104
Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post.
lonniecook [at] aol [dot] com. I sold my '54 3104 12/12/2017, but I still visit Stovebolt.

OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 256
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 256
I had this same debate when I was looking at my 1930 !! I did find some very helpful info that I will post on here, they are in PDf and show the dimensions and basic description information.

Hope this helps out some... I used Step Bolts and ordered them from Fastenal.

Bolt Reference 1

Bolt Reference 2


1929 Chevrolet AC International - 4 Door
1930 Chevrolet AD Universal - Canopy Express Truck
Love the Antique Chevrolet's from 1928-1932
The Beauty, Simplicity, History, and the Stories they Tell
[/font]
- - In the Stovebolt Gallery
-- In the Gallery Forum

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0