Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,110 Posts1,056,246 Members48,437 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 1,186 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 1,186 | After messing with the 1954 261 I just picked up, I got it to fire up. I swapped out the carb for another one I know is clean, replaced the fuel pump because I don't think it sucked....actually I guess it did suck! Messed around with the battery cables and installed a starter, generator and radiator. Got some great instructions on how to rig up an on/off switch from a fellow Stovebolter, added fuel and it fired up. I found an old video camera my boys broke several years ago and shot this. I'm not Cecil B. DE mille and I had to push the record button with a long screwdriver but you can see and hear it run which it does very well with no real funky noises. I need to find out how to adjust the carburetor as I'm not very proficient at the engine stuff, can't be too tough. The water pump leaks like a sieve but it really doesn't matter. The guy got it from said it was a running engine and I guess he was telling the truth. Bruce | | | | | Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 4,215 Moderator | | Moderator Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 4,215 | Sounds awesome Bruce. 261s rock! | | | | | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 |
Ron, The Computer Greek I love therefore I am.1954 3100 Chevy truckIn the Gallery 2017 Buick Encore See more pix1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2011 Posts: 206 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2011 Posts: 206 | where does your road draft go? | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 1,186 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 1,186 | The engine has a PCV option so it has no draft tube.
Bruce | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Bruce, The 261 engine was listed as a factory option in 1954 (RPO225). The PCV system was listed as a separate factory option in 1954 (RPO217). This same information is found in the 1954 Truck Data Books. However, just to cause us to later scratch our heads, and to provide us with opportunity to argue trivia, the 1954 Truck Engineering Features manual states that the PCV System was standard equipment with the 261 engine. I bought a 1960 original equipment 261 engine in 1971 that was in a school bus and was well-maintained. It had no PCV system. Most likely, a PCV-delete special order could be made. The above confusion not withstanding, here are a couple of photos of 1954 distributor side block-ventilation tubes. 1954 261 PCV block ventilation tube 1954 truck standard road draft tube | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 1,186 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 1,186 | Thanks Tim, that makes sense because I've never seen a 261 without the PCV system. But as you say it's listed as an option in the data book. I guess I haven't read close enough or just plain missed it in the engineering features to see it listed as standard on the Jobmaster.
Bruce
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 4,215 Moderator | | Moderator Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 4,215 | My 261 has a road draft tube. The engine is from a 58-60 Canadian Pontiac. No PCV system either, but who knows if someone monkeyed with it before I got it. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 1,186 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 1,186 | I've never seen a 261 without the PCV system. I probably should have said truck. 
Bruce | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 7,440 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 7,440 | Bruce, adjusting the carb is fairly straight forward. Warm the engine then at idle screw the air mixture screw in until you hear a change in the engine idle then back it out 1/2 turn. This should put you in the ballpark. Another option is hook a dwell meter up and watch the RPM for a slight drop as you screw the air mixture screw in then back the screw off 1/2 turn. I'm sure there are other methods but that's how I learned back when 1954 was not to distant in the past.
Martin '62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress) '47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project) ‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily) ‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence) “I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one! Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop! USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)
| | |
| |