Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
2 members (DHedrick, WarEagle1),
103
guests, and
3
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,087 Posts1,056,375 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 206 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 206 | My '65 C20 has the original wood in the bed and I believe the original paint as well. The truck had a camper in it most of it's life which helped preserve the bed. The paint is starting to peel in a few places and one whole board is worse than the rest. I would like to retain the original paint if possible. Is these a way to shine it up and seal it or will I have to repaint the whole bed? Thanks.
1965 Chevy C20 Stepside
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 1,901 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 1,901 | I remember reading here somewhere the original beds were black... Maybe that was a different set of years like the AD's though. Is the bed wood color the body color? can't see in your photo link.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | earlier bedwood was black, the particular type of finish material varied, or isn't well documented - by the TF years the bed floors were being painted body color
if the paint is peeling Cape, there's no way to 'stick' it back, the loose stuff will need to be scraped off, so you're looking at repainting, or if that doesn't leave it looking too patchy, at least scuffing the whole thing and clear coating
Bill | | | | | Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 206 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 206 | The bed wood is black and I also read that they were painted black at the factory. This is what makes me think it is the original paint (of, course it could have been repainted black at some point) since there don't seem to be multiple coats.
1965 Chevy C20 Stepside
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 206 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 206 | Thanks Bill. I may try the clear coat route. Is clear coat only sprayed on or can it be brushed on? Rob
1965 Chevy C20 Stepside
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | I believe Rustoleum makes a clear that should be available in quarts, don't need "automotive" paint
Bill | | | | | Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 206 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 206 | Thanks for the info. Did you say that by the Task Force years the beds were painted the body color? If so, my '65 bed should be turquoise.
1965 Chevy C20 Stepside
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,971 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,971 | I have a 1972 GMC 3/4 ton in original state. It's bed boards are painted orange like the truck. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 206 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 206 | Yes, I just read an article on a site today and the author stated that this changed in '67. If he is correct then mine should stay black. Apparently, they used lamp black mixed with linseed oil to make the "paint"! I guess I will try that (if I can find lamp black).
1965 Chevy C20 Stepside
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | lamp black is soot, found nowadays at artist supply places .... I believe that formula for the bed wood was from the 40's and before .... if you try it make sure you use BOILED linseed oil, the raw stuff stays sticky forever Bill | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | | | | | | Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 206 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 206 | Good advice...thanks alot Bill. Rob
1965 Chevy C20 Stepside
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,971 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,971 | When I do the bed of my trailer, I soak it with several coats of linseed and use heat lamps for an afternoon to help it soak in. These nice hot days we have been having would be a good time for it. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 206 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 206 | Do you use lamp black along with the oil?
1965 Chevy C20 Stepside
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 171 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 171 | Shellac might be your best choice to spruce up the bed, if you don't need to add color that is
....David
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 206 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 206 | I do need to add some color, but not too much...one board and a few spots. I might go over it with shellac or some kind of clear coat when I am finished.
1965 Chevy C20 Stepside
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Will the wood ever get wet?
If it gets wet, and you use shellac, will you wipe it and blow it dry?
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 206 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 206 | I try not to ever let the bed (in fact, the whole truck) get wet. What happens to shellac when it gets wet?
1965 Chevy C20 Stepside
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | read this - it depends on the particular shellac, how it was applied, and how old it is .... but in any case, shellac is pretty easy to touch up, although it would be a pretty unusual finish for bed wood Bill | | | | | Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 206 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 206 | Thanks so much Bill. I will probably only re-apply the lampblack/oil solution as it needs it. If that was good enough for Chevy it is good enough for me. I appreciate the info on shellac.
1965 Chevy C20 Stepside
| | |
| |