The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (Rusty Heaps, 55shaker, BC59, RaNfLaS, 1955 1 Series, tclederman, Otto Skorzeny, wilbur53, FAST55), 137 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,104
Posts1,056,201
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#870693 07/30/2012 6:43 PM
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 73
G
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 73
I'm tearing the head off my '62 235 (burnt valve). While I have it apart, I thought I may as well change out the cracked exhaust manifold.

I've heard you should change out the intake along with the exhaust manifold so that you end up with a paired set to help prevent future exhaust manifold cracking.

Advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Glen

Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 124
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 124
what i did, was have the manifold mating surfaces machined flat and used new gaskets. you also have to tickle the manifolds into place. this system worked for me and left no leaks.

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 695
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 695
True, the gaskets can be a little forgiving if the manifold mating surfaces aren't square.
I think the problem you could have, is if your old manifolds have been remachined at some point.
A remachined intake with a fresh new exhaust may be difficult to fit as a set since they fit in two places... against the head in one vertical plane, and to each other in a horizontal plane.
If you tightened the bolts to the head first, you may have a gap in the horizontal. When you torque those bolts, you would then be putting stress on the castings. This could eventually cause a failure... like a cracked manifold.
From this, I can see why it might be preferred to replace both parts.
I liked the "tickling" term. It means to me, that you tighten gradually, the vertical plane and the horizontal plane similar to the bolts on a head... in a type of sequence. Then at least, you'd be averaging the unsquare error to both planes.
You'd still have stress on the castings though.
If it were in my budget and to insure I had no problems, I reckon I'd replace both parts with new.
Just thoughts...
Jerry


1959 Chevy Apache 3200 Stepside
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Restoration Journal on Facebook

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul." ~ George Bernard Shaw
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 73
G
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 73
Thanks guys. I'm half contemplating just living with the noise. Wrecker here wants $200 for one.

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
Pick up the used one, put it on, don't tighten it up, not all the way just enough to get the Intake and Exhaust both close then tighten the two together, take them off still attached together (Tight so they can't move) and to the machinist and have him plane them down together...


Give me ambiguity
or give me something else
CASO #871094 07/31/2012 10:56 PM
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 73
G
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 73
I like that idea. Thanks! (If I can find one for under $200!)

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
Try posting an ad in the "parts wanted" section of the forum.
https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=17&page=1
I have had good luck there




Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
depending on where and how bad the crack is you could have it repaired by having it spray welded. i have had a few things repaired that way with success.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0