The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Otto Skorzeny, Still At It), 159 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,268
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 73
G
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 73
Hi:

I'm tired of my 62 Chev 235 running poorly. Does anyone know if I can switch to a Carter carb? Is there a particular model that will be a direct replacement?

Thanks!

Glen

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
The carter YF for Chevys is a replacement. They are pretty rare though. It seems to me you should be able to get the Model B running good.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
Take a look at my rebuilt carb post. They test the carb before they send it back. They were professional and gave fast service for a great value which even included a small repair. They rebuilt my 65 Rochester B.

Here's their website.

Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 73
G
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 73
Thanks guys:

I did rebuild my carb (although it doesn't look as good as yours Lugnutz). Still not working right. Truck runs well at any speed, but as soon as I step on it (even a little), it starts missing.

I've changed distributor cap, rotor, points. Reset points and timing (multiple times) and still misses under acceleration.

Thoughts?

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 434
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 434
I put a Holley 2bbl on my son's 66 GMC (305 V6), which dramatically improved how it idled and ran. Mr. Gasket sells a $15 adaptor plate that I believe changes small 4 bolt Rochester to Holley 4 bolt. Carbs are about $280 new from Summit or Jeggs, but then they are rebuildable and you can find information on tuning them. See http://www.6066gmcguy.org/holley.htm don't know if it will work with your application or not, but it sure was a good way to get old GMC carb out of the picture.

Last edited by R-Bo; 07/16/2012 4:30 PM.

R-Bo

1959 Apache 1/2 ton Big Window, Short bed Fleetside (under reconstruction)
1966 GMC 305V6 in the family
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 73
G
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 73
Not sure that'll work. Mine's a 2-bolt.

Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 725
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 725
Check the vacuum advance on your distributor, accelerator pump in your carb, or check for a bent metering rod in your carb. There are a thousand Rochester Bs for every Carter YF and most of them can be made to run just fine. General Motors didn't sell something for more than 30 years that didn't work! Take another look at the problem, I'm sure you'll be able to figure it out.

Best wishes,

Les

Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 73
G
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 73
Thanks Les. The only thing I haven't checked is the metering rod. Hmmm...

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
You won't find a metering rod in a Roch. Model B.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 73
G
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 73
I guess that's why I hadn't checked it. Hah!

Actually, I'm now thinking I have a burnt exhaust valve. It suddenly occurred to me, it's popping at idle and missing as I increase revs. I put a rag at the end of the tail pipe, it sucks the rag in slightly when it pops. Sound like a burnt exhaust valve?


Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0