Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,109 Posts1,056,269 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 73 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 73 | Hi:
I'm tired of my 62 Chev 235 running poorly. Does anyone know if I can switch to a Carter carb? Is there a particular model that will be a direct replacement?
Thanks!
Glen | | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | The carter YF for Chevys is a replacement. They are pretty rare though. It seems to me you should be able to get the Model B running good. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | | | | Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 2,951 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 2,951 | Take a look at my rebuilt carb post. They test the carb before they send it back. They were professional and gave fast service for a great value which even included a small repair. They rebuilt my 65 Rochester B. Here's their website. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 73 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 73 | Thanks guys:
I did rebuild my carb (although it doesn't look as good as yours Lugnutz). Still not working right. Truck runs well at any speed, but as soon as I step on it (even a little), it starts missing.
I've changed distributor cap, rotor, points. Reset points and timing (multiple times) and still misses under acceleration.
Thoughts? | | | | | Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 434 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 434 | I put a Holley 2bbl on my son's 66 GMC (305 V6), which dramatically improved how it idled and ran. Mr. Gasket sells a $15 adaptor plate that I believe changes small 4 bolt Rochester to Holley 4 bolt. Carbs are about $280 new from Summit or Jeggs, but then they are rebuildable and you can find information on tuning them. See http://www.6066gmcguy.org/holley.htm don't know if it will work with your application or not, but it sure was a good way to get old GMC carb out of the picture.
Last edited by R-Bo; 07/16/2012 4:30 PM.
R-Bo
1959 Apache 1/2 ton Big Window, Short bed Fleetside (under reconstruction) 1966 GMC 305V6 in the family
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 73 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 73 | Not sure that'll work. Mine's a 2-bolt. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 725 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 725 | Check the vacuum advance on your distributor, accelerator pump in your carb, or check for a bent metering rod in your carb. There are a thousand Rochester Bs for every Carter YF and most of them can be made to run just fine. General Motors didn't sell something for more than 30 years that didn't work! Take another look at the problem, I'm sure you'll be able to figure it out.
Best wishes,
Les | | | | | Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 73 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 73 | Thanks Les. The only thing I haven't checked is the metering rod. Hmmm... | | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | You won't find a metering rod in a Roch. Model B. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | | | | Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 73 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 73 | I guess that's why I hadn't checked it. Hah!
Actually, I'm now thinking I have a burnt exhaust valve. It suddenly occurred to me, it's popping at idle and missing as I increase revs. I put a rag at the end of the tail pipe, it sucks the rag in slightly when it pops. Sound like a burnt exhaust valve? | | |
| |